Friday, August 22, 2008

Day Two--Niagra Falls!

Today we went over the border into Canada to see Niagra Falls. We were supposedly only 30 minutes from there, but the line to get across the border into Canada seemed like it took FOREVER! We made it in about an hour and a half. Needless to say, it is just amazing, and beautiful. The falls are just huge, and so dang powerful. We started by going on what's called the journey under the falls, which was just a tunnel dug underneath the falls, and you can see how hard the water is falling down. You also walk out to the side of the falls about halfway down, and see how huge they are. You get these cute little rain slickers everywhere you go--quite the fashion statement huh?The next thing we did was the boat ride on the Maid of the Mist, which is a big huge boat that takes you right up to the base of the falls. In fact, you get so close to them, that you can hardly see in front of you because the mist is so thick, and you can't hear someone talking because the falls are so loud. In the brochure it says that you will get "heavily misted"--which I didn't know was another word for "drenched"! I cinched my little garbage bag up and held on for dear life. Luckily, it was see through so I could still see a little, and thankfully, I didn't suffocate myself--you know they tell you NOT to put plastic bags over your head! This was really a blast, and such a thrill to get so close.
We got something to eat, and some great souveniers at the Hard Rock Cafe, and did some shopping at some cute little stores--my favorite was the Hershey Store, where I bought some chocolate dipped strawberries--AWESOME! We watched a fireworks show over the falls, that was great, but only lasted about 10 minutes. Then about midnight, we started to head home. The only problem was--we didn't really know where we were going. It seemed easy enough, we thought we'd just follow the signs that said "Bridge to USA". But then the signs ran out (which is one of my pet peeves--when the signs stop before you actually get to the destination). So my sister stopped and we asked someone how to get back to Buffalo. Unknown to us, there are two ways to cross the border into Canada, and this person was sending us to a completely different border than the one we had come to in the morning. So we drove for about an hour--not recognizing anything, and we started to get very nervous driving around Canada at 1:30 a.m.. Finally, we saw a gas station and asked if we were on the wrong road. Sure enough, the border was 5 minutes away--and we made it home safely. A little plug for the Garmin if you're 5 women by yourselves in a strange country!!! All in all, it was a very fun day, and we made it back safe and sound! Let's hear it for Girl Power!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...