Monday, October 20, 2008

AAAAAHHHH! I HAVE A TEENAGER!

Stop the world, I want to get off! Emie turned 13 today! Yikes--this means I am officially OLD now! I can't believe it was 13 years ago today that we brought our first little girl home! I was SO nervous about taking care of her. My mom came and stayed with us for the first week, and helped me with everything. I still remember so vividly the day that mom left us. I was sitting there nursing Emie in my new rocking chair as Todd walked her down to the car to help her take her stuff down and see her off. When he came back up to our room, there I sat, sobbing. He says, "What's wrong?" I say, "I don't want my mom to go, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with a baby!" Trying to comfort me, he said, "It's okay, I'll help you." I'm like, "Are you kidding, YOU don't know what to do with a baby either!" Then we had a good laugh! And so it began!Emie was such a sweet baby, as long as she was with MOM! Anytime anyone else would hold her, she would literally freak out! She wasn't even crazy about her dad until she was about 2! We were buddies--hanging out day and night. Literally--the kid never slept! She was so busy, and had such a hard time sleeping for more than 45 minutes at a time. She was a cat napper during the day, and would get up 4 or 5 times during the night--which made me pretty much a zombie for most of her childhood! She was so stinkin smart too, I still have her little baby book, (she's the only one who has one if that tells you anything), and it amazes me that she was talking by 9 months old, saying "hi", "bye", "ma ma" and "da da". She loved books, and sesame street, and she had a mom who had nothing but time to hold her and read to her and sing to her all day. Man, how things change the more kids you have huh?A funny story about Emie--once when she was about a year old, we were at Grandma Allen's house and Emie got up onto the table and was eating some leftover chicken and rice that someone left on the table. Grandma saw her up there and goes, "Emie, what are you eating?", not really expecting an answer. Without losing a beat Emie says, "BOK BOK BOK", just like a chicken! We were laughing so hard!I am so proud of the young woman that Emie has become. She is faithful--reading her scriptures every night, she has already read the Book of Mormon twice by herself. That is so amazing to me! She is such a good big sister--always reliable as a babysitter, and as a friend to her younger brothers and sisters. I know this isn't always easy, but she is so obedient to her dad and I when we ask things of her. I always tell her that she is like our poor little guinea pig in this great parenting experience! We will make all of our mistakes on her--and just hope she is able to make it despite us! We love you so much Emie! I am so grateful for your sweet spirit in our family, and I am in awe of the great young woman that you are despite all of the wickedness that surrounds you! Stay strong, and stay close to your Father in Heaven. He will protect you and guide you through the years to come. These teenage years will hold some of the most important decisions that you will ever make. If you remember who you are--a daughter of God--those decisions will be easy to make! You're awesome!

4 comments:

Huston Family said...

Tami,I cried as I read , knowing Mckenzie's 13th is only a few weeks away. I fell so much joy as I watch these girls grwo up, and so mach sadness because she doesn't need me like she used to. I'm comforted in knowing she has Emie to help her through the rough spots when mom isn't the right one to talk to.
Katie

Natalie said...

You and Todd are great parents raising an amazing young woman. I am so happy to work with Emie in the young women's program. She is such a good example to all of us. I love her perspective on life and her sense of humor.

Erin said...

Emie is awesome! She is such a funny, relaxed, smart young woman! Way to raise a great YW, even if you didn't sleep for months!

Kathy P said...

Happy Birthday Emie!!! I loved the short time I got to work with Emie... what a wonderful girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...