Monday, May 25, 2009

Moving On...

One of my most vivid childhood memories was from the 1st grade. I was 6 years old when my best friend, Veronica, moved away to a new state. I wasn't quite sure where it was she was moving, all I knew was that I would probably never see her again, and it broke my little heart. I remember so clearly the day that she left, I broke into tears as soon as I got home from school, and I couldn't quit crying the whole rest of the day. My mom reassured me that I would have other friends, but somehow in my mind, there would never be another friend like Veronica. It seemed like my little world was coming to an end.
Flash forward to the 8th grade, when my parents informed me that we were moving from the town that my dad taught school in, the little town I had lived in for my whole life, Pima, Arizona--down the road 2 miles, to Thatcher--our mortal enemy in sports, and life. People from Pima didn't hang with people from Thatcher. Those people were snobby, and stuck up, and rotten. I can remember having the same reaction of despair, and crying myself to sleep for many, many nights in a row upon hearing the news. Again, my world was crashing down around me, and there was nothing I could do, I was helpless in the situation. It didn't end up turning out so bad. It took awhile, and I resisted it, but I did make wonderful friends, and I still have friends from Pima, that I keep in touch with today.
Last night, Emie's friends had a surprise party for her (thanks girls)! It was so much fun for her, but when she got home, I could see that look of despair that I have seen so often in my own life. The look like, why are my parents making me do this? Why do I need to go somewhere else, when finally I feel comfortable with who I am, and what I want to be? Sometimes, change is hard! They all wrote her a sweet list of things that they love about her, and they were all so encouraging to her, and so kind. They are the best bunch of girls, and I am so grateful to them for sticking with her, and being good friends, and good examples for her. Seeing her heart break like that was hard, knowing that she doesn't want to say goodbye, and I am forcing her to make this change.
Erin has a great group of girls she is leaving behind, and Abby has asked me so many times, "Why are we moving?" She doesn't think because we got a great deal on our dream home is a good enough reason to move her from the neighbors (who have pretty much adopted her) she loves. Joshua isn't really upset yet, but he also hasn't woken up to find that Logan isn't right across the street anymore, and Adam and Max won't be coming over to swim today. I'm not sure if he knows what's in store for him just yet. Man, are we gonna miss that posse of boys! We love those little guys--trouble and all!
Parents make lots of decisions that are hard for kids to swallow. Sometimes, it can be as simple as your mom asking you to change an outfit that doesn't match, or switching you from a junk food diet to a healthy one. It's hard, because as a kid, you don't have a choice in the matter. I think for the most part, that parents don't mean to ruin your life, or make things hard on you, I think most parents care deeply about their children's feelings, and want them to be happy. The fact is, it's hard to move. I know that-- we have done it many times. The hardest thing, is when it's not your choice, and you have to do it anyway. I have done that too, and I want my kids to know that I understand their feelings. It will be okay, I promise you. If you feel like crying, that's okay too, it's normal and natural to be afraid of change, even to resist it. There will be times when you miss your friends, and you miss your old house, and you miss your old ward. I will have those times as well. I also want you to know that we are not expecting you to leave those things all behind...if you get homesick for a friend, we can invite them over. You can call them, use facebook, and other things to keep in touch. That's the nice thing about moving across town, instead of across the country! Yes, things will be hard for awhile--but sometimes we have to make it through hard things. Believe me, life is full of hard things! I know you will be okay--because you're tough, you always have been! Please let me know when you are feeling sad, or unsure--I really do want to help. Yes, change is hard, but if you stay positive, and trust in your Father in Heaven, you can make it through anything. You guys are awesome. I love you! Mom

8 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for making me cry Tami! We are gonna miss you guy SO much!

Huston Family said...

We will miss you all so much. Tell Todd to keep messing with Dan, it keeps him on his toes. Mckenzie hates the thought of you moving. Emie has been such an amazing friend to her. Her example, and love for the Savior shows in all that she does. I will miss the eye roll that she has perfected! I will miss you and your wonderful attitude. You are always so positive and happy and I admire that in you. You will all be missed!!

ASHLEY ELDER said...

I don't have your email so I will just tell you on here, hope you don't mind :)

You have to upload your pictures into another source (photobucket.com) and upload in the size "Large." Then copy and paste the image code into your post. Now the only problem with this is if you delete the pictures in photobucket, you will delete them on your blog as well. Also, you have to have a "wider" blog template, which are hard to find or else it will cut your pictures off.

Let me know if you need any other help!

Erin Allen said...

love you too!

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

You made me cry -- Thank you for this. it is really hard to move -- but it always (at least for me) has turned out for the best. Uprooting the kids is so hard, but it really will be OK.

Natalie said...

Tami we miss you guys! McKenna cried yesterday for hours. She was over tired but I know it finally hit her that Abby is gone. Abby has been such a sweet friend to my girls. We all love her. Your new neighborhood is lucky to have you. Thanks for being great friends to us!

Velma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Velma said...

Learn to be patient with yourselves when moving into a new area...and others...you will find that you will adjust and make many friends and it will open doors to new experience you never thought possible. Those that never change become excentric...changes make you develope character. More possiblities open up to you and your children too. Even in scriptures you read about how families had to leave their homes behind and go to new lands...it wasn't easy for them, but they were blessed in the long run.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...