Saturday, August 27, 2011

Money make$ the world go round...or doe$ it?...

This post has been in my head for a long time, but not written on paper, or spoken aloud, in case someone could hear.  Money is a funny thing.  It's not the easiest thing to talk about, yet everyone deals with money problems at one time or another in their life.  Sometimes the people having the most problems are the ones you would never know about, the ones who's life looks seemingly perfect from the outside, but is imploding on the inside. You have to be careful when you look at someone and make a snap judgement about their life--you might be surprised to find out what struggles they actually have, especially when it comes to money.  When you look up quotes on money, it's funny how true some of them are--and how ridiculous some are too!  Here are a few that I found interesting to ponder:
"Early to bed, early to rise, keeps you healthy, wealthy and wise." - Benjamin Franklin
I have already blogged about this one--HERE.  I still think it's a load of crap--but maybe my problem with the early rising is that I am sitting here blogging at 2 a.m. instead of peacefully sleeping! You think?  (In my defense, Todd is on a campout--and I can't sleep without him here--something about 18 years of having him next to me in my bed--my routine gets all screwed up when he's gone).
"For I don't care too much for money, for money can't buy me love." - The Beatles
Now this one is true to a point, however, I think that sometimes my husband buys my love--in the form of treats, or gifts, and I see nothing wrong with that!  Hint Hint.  Just kidding.  Well, maybe.  Well, okay not really--I do love my husband to buy my love once in awhile! 
"Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort." - Helen Gurley Brown
Now, I don't know who Helen Gurley Brown is...but can I say AMEN sister!  I agree that it's not money that brings happiness--but the lack of money sure can bring frustration, stress, and anxiety to say the least.  There certainly has to be a balance where you have enough to meet your needs, (and a few little wants, c'mon who are we kidding), but there is probably never a point where most people will say they have "enough", which is where the unhappiness comes in.  We need to shoot for a happy medium people!
"If you want to know what God thinks about money, just look at the people He gives it to." - Dorothy Parker
Okay, this one made me laugh out loud!  You do have to admit that most of the super, ultra wealthy people out there don't seem like people I would want to be friends with (just sayin').  Plus, look at the greed it takes to get to the top.  Again, happy medium.
 "My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income." - Errol Flynn
HA!  Mine too!  This is where the B-word comes in.  In our house, BUDGET is sometimes a 4 letter word!  It's something we have never gotten quite right.  We have managed our resources pretty well for the most part--but sticking to a budget has been hard for both of us!  We are still trying--and lately we have pretty much been forced to stick to it, so that makes me think that this challenge with the funeral home and the lawsuit is meant to teach us to take better care of our money, and to be careful who we trust.  Good lessons, but hard lessons nonetheless.
"Money is the opposite of the weather. Nobody talks about it, but everybody does something about it." - Rebecca Johnson
Isn't that true?  How often have you started out a conversation with, "So, I'm broke, how 'bout you?" or "Man, we are really having a hard time paying the bills this month".  People would look at you as if you were insane!  Yet, I have found that it has been so helpful to have conversations with people about our situation--and I really believe that our misfortune has caused many of our family members and even some good friends to learn lessons they may not have learned about taking care of their money, and the importance of making good investments, and again, watching who you trust!  You're welcome!  So happy our situation has benefited SOMEONE.
"Money will come when you are doing the right thing." - Mike Phillips
Well, true and not true.  I believe that prosperity will come to you, blessings will come to you, and good fortune will come to you when you are doing the right things.  That doesn't mean that you will always have money.  There are some VERY good people who are never wealthy as to things of this world.  Look at Joseph and Emma Smith.  They seemed to never have enough money, and yet made things work despite that.  The Lord blesses us in many ways--not always with money.  You have to open your eyes and look for those blessings--they are there!
"The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any." - Katharine Whitehorn
The hardest thing for me is to have my children go without something.  Stupid, I know.  Children should be taught that going without is okay--and that the most important things are NOT just those things you can buy.  It's sure hard in this material world that we live in to teach that principal though, and tightening the belt and living on a budget does help them to learn that the world does not owe them anything--they need to get out and make their way.  The last thing I want is to have spoiled, entitled children--so sometimes going without is a blessing in disguise.
"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." - Will Smith
This coming from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air?  Wha??  Actually, I totally agree.  The "Bigger and Better Bandwagon" has gone far enough--time to get off.
"Money is like love; it kills slowly and painfully the one who withholds it, and enlivens the other who turns it on his fellow man." - Kahlil Gibran
I'll tell you, as we have looked back over the years, the money we have regretted spending was on purchases that were frivolous, or meaningless.  The money we have always been glad to spend was money to help someone, even if we didn't get it back.  I can truly say that is the best money we ever spent--and it always has given us such a feeling of satisfaction when we have been of help to someone. The best way to help is in SECRET.  It's the best feeling in the world to leave them guessing. I believe it will always come back to you 10 fold.
"The art of living easily as to money is to pitch your scale of living one degree below your means." - Sir Henry Taylor
Totally agree--but we are going to try two degrees this time around, so that if one degree wasn't enough (or someone screws you), you have a little more of a nest egg-- thank you very much!
"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one." - Benjamin Franklin
And vacuums SUCK!  (HA!)  That's that Bigger/Better thing--again, we need to reach a happy medium and be CONTENT!  Easier said than done, I know.
"The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson
Ummm...Mr Jefferson, if you ever actually ran out of money--the glow of one warm thought will NOT put food on the table--I'm just sayin'. 
"Let us more and more insist on raising funds of love, of kindness, of understanding, of peace. Money will come if we seek first the Kingdom of God - the rest will be given." Mother Teresa
What a wise woman indeed!  I love that!  And finally, here's my favorite:
"A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man. " Lana Turner
I'm not sure who this Turner woman is either, but I think we could hang out!  HA! 
There--was that so hard?  We can talk about these things--and we should.  You might be surprised at how good it feels to let it all out!  Phew!  In many ways, we are starting from scratch in our situation, and I feel like we are being given a chance to show Heavenly Father that we can do a better job this time.  I am looking at the business, the lawsuit, the move, all as a clean slate.  We are being allowed a fresh start.  When I write my story this time--I want to be more careful about how I think about, talk about, and perceive money.  It truly is a gift to be able to have enough.  I will not take it for granted again.
Back to my title--So, does "money make the world go round"?  Actually, I think that quote is one of the stupidest quotes I have ever heard.  The world goes round because God designed it that way--duh.(And if Emie was awake in these the wee hours of the morning--she could explain the physics of that answer to you I'm sure--but alas, she isn't available--so just google it if you're curious).  Now aren't you glad we got to the bottom of that age old stupid question?  Well, you're welcome!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...