Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sad, but true...

Todd and I were able to attend the temple today for a sweet friend who was sealed to her husband and baby. She is a convert to the church, and they are the sweetest little family. It was a beautiful experience, it always is in the temple. I love to feel the spirit, and the peace that comes to my heart when I am in that holy place. I love to listen for the inspiration that almost always comes when I am sitting there learning about God's plan for me and my family. I love that every time I go, something new occurs to me, and I always feel like it was just the experience I needed, at just the right time. I am so grateful for the temple, that it is a refuge from the world, a safe place where I can feel peace, and inspiration.
When I came home from such a beautiful morning--I saw this e-mail on my computer that almost made me want to throw up. I wish I hadn't checked it--but I did, and I feel like I need to let the few people who read this blog know so that we can spread the word. I copied this from my sis-in-law's blog--Thanks Kels...

PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
Many of you may have heard of HBO's television show, Big Love. It came out a couple of years ago, and it shows polygamous families. When it first came out, the church came out with a strong statement against Big Love and Polygamy. You can see the statement here:
http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/church-responds-to-questions-on-hbo-s-big-love
However, as if the polygamy weren't bad enough, HBO has taken their unscrupulousness to new heights.On Sunday, March 15, 2009, HBO will be airing a segment of their Big Love series that will show individuals dressed in full temple clothing (you can see the picture right in the TV guide itself), and they are planning on recreating the temple ordinances on public television. They have an ex-member of the church that is helping them make this ceremony as authentic as possible (you can see even from the pictures they have posted how closely they have replicated the clothing).Please help stop HBO from airing such an offensive show! You can go to the link below to submit a comment to HBO.
http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do?title=GeneralInformation&questiontype=generalInformation&questiontype=general
It's imperative that we get as many people to voice their complaints as possible before HBO airs the show. Please pass this information on to as many people as you can!Here is a photo from the episodehttp://students.washington.edu/secular/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/big-love-to-show-mormon-ceremony.pdf
The church also issued a statement about this episode today, that link is below:
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma

I think it's disgusting and sad that people who know nothing about this church would take sacred things and make fun of them. These are not things that were meant to be public. These are things that are sacred, and holy, and not to be trampled under the feet of men. I am sending a letter to HBO, not that I feel like it will help--but just because it's the only thing I can actually do. Sad, but true.

6 comments:

Erin said...

OH MY...you are right about the wanting to barf. Our world is truly sick.

Erin said...

Just sent my letter.Thanks for sharing.

The Causey Family said...

I am so sorry-I thought you would have known about this... Being from Utah it has been all over the news for the last few days... It is SO SAD that people have to go SO FAR... I sent an email and I think we all should... They have just taken things way to far... We all know whos work this is... SO SAD *BUT TRUE*

Real Mom, Real Life said...

I just posted about this too Tami -- we must think alike.

I saw the picture in the TV guide today at Walmart... I almost started crying righ there. It looked like a photo from the ordinance room. I just don't think it is right.

I once had a magazine removed from Walmart because the cover was REVEALING to say the least. I told them it was offensive to me, and they removed it.

I wonder if they would do the same thing for the TV guide. It is kind of a major magazine and the photo is in the middle instead of the front... Still, I might suck it up and give it a try.

Just makes me sad... so opposite of what it was like today.

Heatherly said...

We can only live by example and rise above. The ones who attempt to divulge these things in the end still have to meet our maker.

Chino Blanco said...

Tom Hanks puts this brouhaha into perspective (and waxes prophetic) at the 3rd season premiere of Big Love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7JgK_mmEBk

"There's gonna be lies, and secrets, and discoveries, and problems. Television!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...