Thursday, March 5, 2009

Because I am a Mother...


13 1/2 years ago, my life changed. The doctor handed me a beautiful baby girl, 8 pounds 9 1/2 ounces, and Todd and I looked at each other and wondered, what now? I had no idea then, how much different I would be because I am a mother.

Because I am a Mother...

*Because I am a Mother, rational thoughts have been replaced with constant worry.

*Because I am a Mother, I say things that make no sense to anyone who isn't a mother. Things like, "I'm going to beat the living daylights out of you!" Huh?

*Because I am a Mother, I can sleep through most of a Die Hard movie at the movie theatre, but the small sound of my newborn infant squirming next to me wakes me up in an instant.

*Because I am a Mother, I have rolls where my stomach muscles used to be, and empty gray matter where my brain used to be.

*Because I am a Mother, I finally appreciate my mother! Thanks Mom, I love you!

*Because I am a Mother, sometimes 3 hours of sleep has to be enough.

*Because I am a Mother, I have to be able to turn from Old Mother Hubbard into Marilyn Monroe in a matter of seconds. Just because I am a Mother, doesn't mean I can't be his wife!

*Because I am a Mother, I have to have a solution for every problem. What kind of mother lets her children struggle with problems on their own? (Maybe a better mother than me...)

*Because I am a Mother, my boobs have been used and abused. I wish I didn't have to go through pain and agony to get a new, improved pair. (My teenager will love that one--don't worry honey--your turn will come...)

*Because I am a Mother, my days are full of some of the highest highs, and some of the lowest lows. Highs usually involve Coca Cola, or chocolate, and the lows? One word...laundry.

*Because I am a Mother, it's not about me.

*Because I am a Mother, I have a chance to live another childhood through my own children. Adolescence? No thanks, once was enough!

*Because I am a Mother, I fear the evil in this world, and I'm determined to protect my children from it at all costs.

*Because I am a Mother, I feel guilty for the dumbest things.

*Because I am a Mother, I demand loyalty, and respect. I'm not a perfect mother, but I'm the only mother they get!

*Because I am a Mother, I blame the dryer instead of the Oreos when my jeans don't fit.

*Because I am a Mother, I'm never quite sure about anything! Ask my kids...

*Because I am a Mother, even when I'm exhausted, sleep evades me, and my mind races 1,000 different directions. Sometimes it's hard to just be still.

*Because I am a Mother, I can multi-task. I can nurse a baby while reading a book to a toddler, while checking my e-mail, and eating a bowl of cereal--this is all before 8 a.m..

*Because I am a Mother, I appreciate other great mothers--especially when their children are friends with my children.

*Because I am a Mother, "muffin top" has become a painful reality. Google it...you'll know if you are an offender too...


*Because I am a Mother, my head hurts--a lot.

*Because I am a Mother, I am proud when my kids make good choices, and my heart breaks when they don't. It's true that when you're a mother, your heart walks around outside your body.

*Because I am a Mother, sometimes the only "quiet place" is in my toilet room. Sometimes I lock myself in there and hide for hours.

*Because I am a Mother, "DIET" is a 4 letter word, offensive in every way. If you mention "EXERCISE" you might get the same hostile reaction from me.

*Because I am a Mother, a clean house almost makes me cry for joy. Needless to say, most days the tears I cry are not tears of joy.

*Because I am a Mother, I am always teaching, whether I realize it or not.

*Because I am a Mother, things that would make a normal person vomit, don't even make me wince anymore. It's just another day at the office...

*Because I am a Mother, I can blame the 10 extra pounds around my middle on baby #4, instead of blaming it on my love/hate relationship with my treadmill.

*Because I am a Mother, my life will never be the same again, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

6 comments:

Erin Allen said...

used and abused you are WOW i wouldn't have the guts to write that!! EWW

Real Mom, Real Life said...

I am laughing -- Muffin Top? Could there be any better name for that?

Loved this post. I may have to link to it!!

Melissa said...

This is great! Love it. Relate to it. Live it. Thanks.

That Girl in Brazil said...

Got here from Real Mom -

This is perhaps the bestest. Post. Ever.

I like you, lady!

Beth said...

Sweet post! How true how true! Being a mom is awesome...tiring but awesome!

Heidi said...

Thank you for putting in to writing all of my frustration over the past week. It's clear we have chosen a path that makes mere mortal men quiver at what we do. I totally get you. Thank Kathy for sending me here.
Heidi
smushedgoldfishinthecracksoflife.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...