Monday, March 30, 2009

Thought for a Monday...

This was from a talk by Emily Watts a few years ago at Women's Conference, and I stumbled upon it while I was reading my notes in my journal last night. I thought it was appropriate for a Monday...enjoy! (If you're sitting there with your child on your lap screaming--like me--sing it out loud!)

"I've had some requests to publish my "altered lyrics" to the beloved hymn "Today, While the Sun Shines." I thought hard about this, because I didn't want to seem irreverent in print, but since the original still stands without any statement, and since this is not a protest against that hymn but merely a blatant misappropriation of its rhyme scheme, I thought I'd go ahead. Here they are:"

Today While the Kids Scream
Today, while the kids scream, plaster on a smile!
Today, with the laundry stacking up in a pile.

Today, today, do the best you can.
Today, today, it's part of the plan,
Today, today, don't forget to pray
That heaven will show you the joys of today.

Today, with the deadlines breathing down your neck,
Bills to be paid, and body gone to heck . . .

Today, today, do the best you can.
Today, today, it's part of the plan,
Today, today, don't forget to pray
That heaven will show you the joys of today.

1 comment:

Real Mom, Real Life said...

Yup -- that is about right. Exactly. I think I even look a little like Calvin there...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...