Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Torture by Treadmill...


Remember my Torture by swimsuit post a few weeks back (see my post earlier today for more on that adventure)--well while we were in Mexico, I found something even WORSE! Todd and I went to work out in the gym at the resort a few days last week, trying to burn off at least part of the 20 homemade tortillas we were downing on a daily basis. I mean it has to help a little, right? Well, we found a treadmill and started working out, and my treadmill was going all wacky on me--I tried to put it on manual, but it kept going faster and faster on me, and I couldn't get it to stop, and I really couldn't keep up. I tried resetting it, but it wouldn't work, so I had to switch treadmills. I ended up on the only one that worked, across the room from Todd. The minute I stepped on it, I thought, "What the crap??" The treadmill was in front of a full length mirror. Not only that, but there was a full length mirror on the side of me, and full length mirrors on the wall in the back as well. Can you imagine anything worse than watching yourself workout, from every possible angle? Maybe someone who has a super lean, fabulous body would love to watch their muscles working as they run on the treadmill. Maybe there are super vain people out there who can't get enough of admiring themselves as they run effortlessly. Maybe if I looked like the woman in the picture, I would feel comfortable working out in front of a mirror. Uuugh...not this housewife and mother of six! I kept thinking, "Just don't look at yourself, just look away, look at anything else...anything..." , but it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't look away. My cheeks bounced--and not just the ones on my face. My face was red, and sweaty, it felt like it was 1,000 degrees in there. My feet looked awkward as I tried to keep up with the pace I had set. My head bobs in a weird way when I run, which I totally knew from watching tapes of myself running track meets back in the day, but I remembered why I hated to watch myself run--because I look like a total doofus. The time seemed to crawl along in slow motion--like a slow, painful torture. Yes, if you ever need the motivation to get your fat butt off the couch, and into the gym--just try working out on a treadmill in front of a mirror. Then again, after that experience, I went back to the room and ate a few Oreos--just to make myself feel better. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

3 comments:

Tawni said...

That is funny! I have been by mirrors in the gym, not all angles, but all I did was pick myself apart, and you can't help but look.
And I too eat crap to make myself feel better, but hello, doesn't that make it worse! For those few minutes though, it is all forgotten!

Real Mom, Real Life said...

I would NEVER work out if I had to watch myself!!! That's just cruel! Of course, I really don't work out now, so what's the difference?

Velma said...

I would totally hate that!! Proably wouldn't feel like going there...would go swimming instead...can't see myself, and don't care what anyone else thinks as I do my laps, and then hot tub, and leave. LOL And trying on suits, clothes period takes me over an hour even at the DI's. I hate shopping for clothes period...there is no cute clothes for heavy, curvy people!!! At least no cheap clothes if any!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...