Tuesday, November 25, 2008

We're Off to DISNEYLAND!

So we decided to spend time this year with my sister and her family, and my parents at Disneyland instead of pigging out on turkey and all the fixins'. We're not quite sure what we'll get to eat for Thanksgiving dinner--but sure it will be more fun than sitting around feeling way too full and watching football all day! Of course, we might throw up whatever we do eat when we ride Tower of Terror the 10 times the kids always want to ride that dumb ride! (Not my favorite---Uuugh~)!
Actually, we had our turkey dinner on Sunday--I didn't want to miss out on all the awesome turkey leftovers that come with Thanksgiving. Some of my favorites: Turkey sandwiches--with mayo, lettuce, and here's the secret--jellied cranberry sauce. If you want to be really naughty, try it with whipped cream cheese too--YUM~! Stuffing is awesome smothered in gravy! Todd's mom's pumpkin pies--(I tried--but it's just not the same without her homemade crust! Oh, and I overcooked it too)! She uses the Libby's pumpkin recipe--but substitutes brown sugar for the white. My all time favorite Thanksgiving recipe--sweet potato casserole--this is a recipe that even the kids will eat. I thought I'd share:

Sweet Potato Casserole
6 large sweet potatoes
1/4 C. butter
3/4 C. light or heavy cream
1/2 C. dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla (I always use more)
12 large marshmallows, halved (optional)
Cook sweet potatoes until tender--(or use 2 or 3 large cans of cooked sweet potatoes). Drain and place in bowl. Mash until smooth. Add butter, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Transfer to a 13x9x2 in. baking dish and bake at 350* for 35-40 min., covered with foil. Uncover and put marshmallows on top (if desired). Bake for an additional 5-8 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted. Serves 8-10.

I have so many things to be grateful for! I love the Thanksgiving season, and that it makes us remember how blessed we truly are. I am truly blessed, and so grateful to my Heavenly Father for his hand in my life. I am grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel, and how it blesses my life. Most of all I am grateful for my family, and extended family, and love them so much. Thank you to all of our family and friends, who make our life so full of joy and love! We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Kathy P said...

Have Fun!!! I always wanted to try Disney this time of year -- you will have to tell me how it went.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...