Monday, August 18, 2008

Surrender...

Todd and I went to an adult fireside last night put on by our Stake Presidency, and it was such a neat experience. They were trying to plan our Stake youth conference, and trying to make it an experience for the youth that would be a life changing experience, one that would be a conversion experience for them like the people that King Benjamin taught had. They decided that in order for there to be an amazing experience for the youth, that they would have to have the parents come first, and have them do some things differently at home so that this could happen.

President Jarvis read a scripture that I have never read before, it is in Exodus 19:5-6 and it reads, "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel." So we are supposed to be a peculiar people. I think sometimes I fight against being a peculiar people. I think sometimes I just want to look like everyone else and not be too different, and I know that the youth struggle with this especially--it's hard to be different from your friends. But the Lord's people are not supposed to be like everyone else--we are supposed to be different, we are supposed to rise up, and live our lives to a different standard. And we will be richly blessed for doing so.

President Gulbrandsen got up and talked after that to let us know how he expected this change to take place in our lives. He said that it would take place with one word...surrender. We needed to go home that night, and if we would surrender our lives, our sins, and our will to our Heavenly Father, and our Savior, our lives would be different, and our childrens lives would be different. For some people, that might sound easy--but for me, I think that is probably one of the most difficult things anyone has ever told me to do. I realized that I am going about my prayers, and my parenting the complete wrong way. I realized that when I pray, I like to tell my Father in Heaven how I want things to go, and how I want things to be, and please won't you help me to make this right. When I pray about my children, I pray that they will turn out the way that I want them to, and do the things that I want them to do. Last night I realized that if I am going to follow this counsel, and surrender my will to the Lord, I need to be praying not for what I want, but for what He wants for me. I need to be praying not for what I want for my children...but for what He wants me to do for my children, and how He would have me raise them. I need to let go of that control, and surrender to Him. This was a life changing moment for me.

Just as with anything in my life, change takes time. After a few weeks, I may forget that spirit that I felt, and things may go back to normal. That is why I realized that I need to write down my thoughts and feelings that I had during this fireside. President Gulbrandsen told us that when the Holy Ghost tells you to do something, and prompts you to make a change in your life, that you can be assured that there is also a promise that the Lord will help you to make that change. For now, I am praying that the Lord will do just that. That I can take my life, and put it into his hands. That I can have that change of heart that it talks about in the scriptures. That I can be completely devoted to the Lord, and to His will. I know that this is what He wants me to do, and that it will make me a better wife, a better mother, and a better person.

5 comments:

The Jarvis Family said...

What a great night. Loved your thoughts and feelings. Thanks for sharing!

Kathy P said...

I LOVED this fireside. I wish we could have more like them. I came home and wrote everything down I could remember so I won't forget. The spitit was so strong and I left feeling like I wanted to be a better person. Surrendering is the hard part though -- and there is a lot for me to surrender. Thanks for your insights.

Natalie said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the fireside. I also reflected on my parenting and relationship with my children as President Gulbransen was speaking. I was glad to hear what you had to say.

Erin said...

Great insights. I think a lot of us would do well to pray for his will instead of our own. I know that I have to constantly remind myself to do this. It was a great evening wasn't it.

Heatherly said...

Tami you hit the head right on the nail. It was an awesome night. I felt the same great spirit again when I read over your thoughts. Just wanted to say thank you. I needed that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...