Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day One Part 1--Hill Cumorah

My mom, my sisters and I flew into Buffalo, New York on Wednesday for a few days of R & R, leaving our husbands at home with 20 kids combined! We had such a good time together, and even though we got lost a few too many times, it was a great adventure that we won't soon forget! Buffalo was a great city to stay in, central to the weeks activities. We used it as home base for Palmyra, Niagra Falls, and Kirtland, Ohio.
To start our vacation we traveled about 1 1/2 hours from Buffalo, to Palmyra, NY, where the Hill Cumorah and the Sacred Grove are. The weather was beautiful, and we arrived at the Hill Cumorah around noon. The visitors center was beautiful, as usual, and the missionaries there were more than helpful.We walked around the visitors center and this Christus was my favorite part. Instead of the universe and stars that usually surround the Christus in the other visitors centers that I have been to, it was instead a grove of trees in the background, because that is, after all where it all started. A young boy praying in a grove of trees. It was a beautiful reminder.After touring the visitors center, we went out the door to go up to the Hill Cumorah. It was little bit of a climb, but a beautiful walk to the top of the hill. On the top of the hill, they have a Hill Cumorah Monument honoring what took place there.It was so awesome to be where the Prophet Joseph Smith walked, and to feel of the spirit of that place. We thought about going there for the Hill Cumorah Pageant, but I was kinda glad we didn't make it for that because it was really neat to be there with only a few other people and be able to sit and ponder in the quiet of the day. My mom had the idea to take a few leaves and put them in our scriptures where it talks about Joseph going there and being taught by Moroni each year before finally receiving the gold plates. We found these... Of course it wouldn't be a vacation with me, unless I leave my purse somewhere--thankfully I noticed before we left, and walked back and got it--my mom caught this pic of me walking back from getting it...Todd would be proud! Yep, that's the story of my life!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I can't wait to go on a church history tour one day. I love seeing your pictures (especially the one of the Christus). I am glad you had a great time. I was quite impressed with Todd while you were away. He made it to church with all 6 kids. They were dressed appropriately and everything. I am sure he is relieved you are home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...