This year, we decided to spend the 24th of July with my parents in Thatcher. Todd stayed at home to work, but the kids and I had a great time at Grandma and Grandpa's house. My dad (a former driver's education teacher), was able to take Emie out a few times and do some driving. She learned several things--including how to come to a complete STOP, which my Dad thought I had neglected to teach her. Ummm...I guess I teach more by example than I thought I did. HA! When I remember going driving with my dad, I remember two things: 1. The driver's ed car had a brake on his side, that he could slam on at will. I remember him slamming on the brakes more than once, when I thought I was doing just fine. Now, I realize how many times I would do the same thing while driving with a teenager! In fact, we all make fun of Todd when he drives with Emie--(or even with ME), because he slams on an imaginary brake when he thinks she should be going slower or stopping. Instinct, I guess! 2. I remember a lot of times that my dad would try to teach me something, and I would roll my eyes and totally ignore him because I thought he was just trying to nit pick things I was doing wrong. Now, I realize that you really need to listen to the person who has been driving for um...30 years! They really do know more than you do! My poor Dad! Anyway, what I don't remember is this nicer, gentler, kinder man that my children call Grandpa! I am always telling them, "You don't know the same guy I knew growing up! He was MEAN!" Now he is just a nice old man, trying to get into heaven! Bless his heart--he has changed a lot! Love this guy!

This year, the 24th of July Pioneer Day festivities were in Thatcher, so we just had to go down the street for all the fun! We had a great time at the parade, and then went over to the football stadium at EAC for the festivities. Had a great BBQ rib dinner, and concert, then watched the fireworks. We passed the time waiting for the fireworks by taking self portraits--aren't we all adorable! I hate how I can't take a self portrait without the double chin effect--I tried, but it wasn't happenin'. Oh well. I'll blame it on my camera angle, and not the 20+ pounds I have put on over the summer! HA! Maybe that HUGE bag of kettle corn has something to do with that! That bag was as tall as Jack! :) We had a great time in my old stomping grounds, and even saw some old friends! Love this place--it will always feel like home to me!







Back at Grandma and Grandpas we had a great time! The kids got out the umbrella and enjoyed playing in a rainstorm. It always makes me laugh at how much Arizona natives enjoy themselves in a rainstorm! The kids get giddy when you hand them an umbrella--like they have never seen one before! They were out there singing and dancing having a great time! Because of the rain, there were plenty of frogs in the yard enjoying the wet weather. The kids caught a few and terrorized them a bit while we were out in Grandpa's hot tub. I'm sure the frogs didn't enjoy my children as much as the children enjoyed them! Emie was cracking me up--she had no fear whatsoever, and even being 15 1/2 jumped right in and caught them for people to hold them. You go girl! I haven't raised a sissy girl! HA! You can see, Erin is a little squeamish--I wish I had video of her screaming when Emie threw one at her. Hilarious!



Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Metzger for such a GREAT time! It was a fabulous way to spend the 24th, and a great way to round out the summer with a vacation! YAY!
1 comment:
Does look like you all had a blast Tami...bet you did have a blast with your family back at Thatcher...will have to go visit my sis sometime in Ariz again! Wish I could go there during Easter and see the desert bloom. Nice blog as usual. Love, Velma
Post a Comment