Friday, February 20, 2009

Freezer cooking...

So today I was literally slavin' away in the kitchen! I got up at 7 a.m. and started cooking meals for the freezer. I was able to get a bunch of meat on sale this week, and since I haven't cooked dinner in awhile--(meaning since last Feb. when Jack was born)--I thought I'd get on the ball and make a bunch of dinners to head off the softball/baseball season which is coming up way too fast! Sometimes I make myself laugh though because I get excited about starting a big project, and then halfway through it today I am thinking..."Why the heck did I think I could do this???" Seriously, it is one thing when you spend a day cooking with a 2 or 3 year old, and you just have to stop once in awhile to put on a new movie, or feed them a meal. It's not the same with a 1 yr. old, who was in trouble the whole day, not to mention he's not feeling well, so he just wanted to be held. So I was carting around a toddler on my hip all day while I was cooking, and I realize that I am 12 hours into this thing, and only about halfway through cooking.

I seriously have these delusions of grandeur sometimes! Why do I do that to myself? Not only did I set out to cook freezer meals, but I picked 20 recipes with the intention of cooking 2 of each meal. HELLO??? I am like a crazy nut job! Actually, I finished 28 of the meals, then Jack went to bed and I was able to do the last ones. Next time I think I will be more realistic and only do 20 at a time. I AM glad that I have some dinners though. I like cooking them all at once, then just having to take them out the night before and thaw them. It saves me from the age old 6:00 question, "What's for dinner???" (Most of you probably ask that question before 6:00--welcome to my life!) I hate that! I also hate going to make something, and then you're missing like 1 or 2 things, so I have to go to the store. People who find out that I do freezer meals are like--oh you're so organized. Yeah right--it's because I'm NOT organized that I try to do it this way. I hate planning out a menu, and trying to decide what to make every day for dinner. It's a few days of drudgery that pay off with several days when I don't have to decide what's for dinner at the last minute--or even worse show up at Taco Bell!

So yay me, and yay for a months worth of yummy dinners, and yay for whoever thought this whole freezer meal idea up--I'm lovin' it! (now that I'm through...). The only thing that sucks is that now I have to clean the kitchen--uuugh! That will have to wait until tomorrow...I've done enough work for the day! Check this out--and this is only the inside freezer--the one in my garage has 12 more! Hooray!

3 comments:

Sharla said...

Wow Tami! I'm very impressed! I love your enthusiasm. That's the golden question every day...what's for dinner? You'll have to share some of your menu items with us so we can try to be as effecient as you!

Erin said...

I am SO jealous and VERY impressed!

Real Mom, Real Life said...

Way to go!! I have gotten as far as thinking about doing that... then I would call Girlfriends Kitchen. Since it has been closed, I have had to get creative... I might have to copy you. But of course, more realistic for me is maybe 2 meals...

Seriously? 28???? Wow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...