Saturday, February 21, 2009

Snow Campout...

Todd went on the snow campout with the Teachers from our ward this weekend. This is the yearly outing where the young men go out to the wilderness, and camp out in the snow to prove their manhood to the world. You have to know my husband to appreciate this--but he is seriously a polar bear. He is never cold. In fact, it could be 20 degrees outside, and my husband would have the air conditioning on in the car, and when I go to turn on the heat he will say, "really? I'm sweating!" That's his standard answer when I say, "I'm cold"--he says, "I'm sweating". It's actually become quite a joke because he says it almost as a reflex--like without thinking about it. He cracks me up. So the first time he went on this campout a few years ago, he took his little Walmart $20 sleeping bag, with a little quilt, a sweatshirt, and some windbreaker pants--you know, just in case it got cold. He planned on sleeping in the back of our Suburban, so how cold could it get? Then, night came--and my sweet polar bear curled up for a great night's sleep in just his underwear--because don't you know it's actually warmer to sleep in less clothing? I still don't get how you come to that conclusion... Anyway, this particular night, it got down into the teens, and my poor sweet husband had such a terrible night. He ended up getting up in the middle of the night and starting our car to turn on the heater he was so cold--which ended up waking up everyone in the camp because we had this muffler thing on our Suburban that was really loud. I think that's the first time I have heard of him actually turning ON the heater! He got home and I was cracking up at his story, but actually felt sorry for him looking at how haggard he looked, and the big bags under his eyes. So the next year, my husband wised up--he took his Cabela's gift cards he got for Christmas--and purchased his ticket to a warm, snuggly snow campout for many years to come--a new sub-zero sleeping bag, and a nice thick camping pad to lay on! It only takes once to learn that lesson!

In all actuality, I don't know if the snow campout in Arizona can actually prove your manhood or not--it barely gets to like 20 degrees--even when you go up to the snow. So the scouts in Arizona should actually have to take a trek up to Utah where it gets seriously cold in order to prove their manhood. I was reminded this weekend of a story my sister Wendy posted on her blog a month ago when her husband and son went on this very campout. I was laughing my head off so I'm posting it here so you guys can laugh too--This is one of the few times we are glad that we're women!

(The Man) Scout CampOut...
"Owen and Mitchell went to the Scout house at 5:00 on Friday night for some yummy dinner and fun games till 10:00 then it was time to be a man and campout in their tents... To me this would be fine in Arizona but Utah in January are you kidding me???? It was maybe 20 degrees outside and it had rained all day and then all night and the fog was so bad you couldn't even see... Owen came home on Saturday after eating a yummy breakfast and said he was frozen all night... I asked him about his sleeping bag and said he had put it under them and he had slept with two blankets over him... He woke up the first time and put on his extra pair of socks, then woke up to put on his jacket, then woke up to put on his gloves, and then he woke up all night long because he was freezing!!!!! Owen said that was the coldest he has ever been in his life... Mitchell on the other hand woke up in the morning and turned to Owen and said Dad my sleeping bag was so warm... -Owen told him to be quiet-Mitchell had a good night sleep and was ready for the day : ) Needless to say Owen took a nap and later felt better... So I call it the MAN scout campout because I am so glad to be the WOMAN-MOM and stay in my warm house and sleep in my warm bed... Sorry boys but sometimes I think you are CRAZY... All in all they had a really good time and they will have lots of fun memories... Owen is soooo looking forward to the winter campout where they campout in the snow.... I am sure Owen will sleep in his sleeping bag this time.... All I can say is HAVE FUN BOYS!!!!"

2 comments:

Real Mom, Real Life said...

Yeah -- some campout! I hear they slept in the cabin this time and had an airsoft war...

Spence didn't go asleep until after 3!

Natalie said...

The snow campout was in Brinkerhoff's cabin. That's the kind of camping I could handle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...