Friday, February 13, 2009

Frustrated...

After 6 weeks, and several doctors and appointments, and $1,800 in bills so far, we are still trying to figure out the problem with Josh's hand. His arm has lots of scar tissue from his injury, and his hand still doesn't respond or work the way it should be working. He has full movement in his arm, but his fingers still don't work the way they are supposed to. The orthopedist didn't even notice the problem until 3 weeks into this thing, and told us that it was probably fine, and it just might take a few months to heal. Not being that patient, we asked Todd's brother Dr. Chris for a referral to a physical therapist, thinking that we could speed up the healing process. He referred us to the nicest guy--Moore physical therapy on Power and Baseline (who offered to do the therapy for free by the way--what a blessing). He worked with Josh on Wednesday, just trying to figure out what the problem could be, and hooked him up to a nerve stimulator machine. Josh didn't respond at all to the stimulator, which was strange since they hooked it up to Todd, and his hand moved immediately. He told me he would do some research for me, and to come back in today for another session. When I got there, he told me that he had done some research, and was pretty sure that he had narrowed it down to the exact problem--a nerve called the Posterior Interoseus Branch of the Radial Nerve. Long story short, he said that we probably shouldn't be using his hand at all, and gave me the name of a physical therapist who works with just hand injuries who could build a splint for Josh to keep the injury isolated until we could get to a neurologist who can do tests on the nerves to tell us whether this is something that can be fixed, or it is a permanent injury where the nerve was permanently damaged.
The next few weeks will probably bring some more answers as we see more doctors, and I should probably just be grateful that this little boy is alive, but in the back of my mind I just have this sinking feeling that this injury might just be permanent, and I can't help thinking of what that would mean for this active little boy with his whole life ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, I know compared to some problems other children face, this is such a minor one, but you always want your children to be perfect, to face no significant challenges in their lives, and this would be a challenge for him to say the least. He was trying to put his baseball glove on yesterday, and so frustrated that he couldn't spread his fingers out to keep the glove on his hand. It just made me so sad to think he might not be able to play again. Then there's the guilt that we left and went on this vacation for two weeks thinking that it would be healed when we got back, when maybe we should've taken him to the neurologist weeks ago. I guess I just have to have faith, and trust that everything happens for a reason, even when we don't understand. At this point we can only pray, and hope for the best.

3 comments:

ASHLEY ELDER said...

I hope he feels better!

Real Mom, Real Life said...

I am so sorry... that has got to be rough. He must be going out of his mind...

I hope you find answers soon. We will pray for his little arm to heal!

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Josh is still having problems with his hand. A couple of days ago, Logan was convinced Josh had to have his arm amputated because it wasn't working correctly. Logan told my girls about this and they quickly believed the story. I tried to reassure them Josh would be o.k. We will keep him in our prayers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...