Wednesday, August 19, 2009

To be a parent...


Do you remember the excitement that you felt when you were due with your first baby? I was so anxious to see her face, to hold her in my arms, to be a mom. It's an amazing feeling to become a parent for the first time, and for me, it was equally amazing each and every time I held a newborn infant in my arms. So much to look forward to, so much promise, so much joy. And...so much heartache, so much anxiety, so much stress! Sometimes, I wonder if I am in over my head with this whole parenting thing--I mean, seriously--I'm not really even grown up myself yet, am I? I still lose my temper, I still don't always like to share my things, I still pick fights with people for no good reason, I'm still selfish at times, I still don't know all the answers, heck...I could go on and on. My point is that I'm not sure when as parents we grow into that job, or if I will ever feel like I REALLY get it, like I really know what I'm doing. We just plow through it day by day, and pretend like we know, because let's face it--we want the children to at least think we know what we're doing! This week, though, I am completely and utterly clueless, and I have no problem admitting it. I just want my children to know that I love them, and I think that they are amazing, and I just want them to be happy! I'm sorry if sometimes I don't say the right things, or do the right things, or handle things the best way, but guess what? I have never been a parent before--and you only get ONE SHOT! I am doing the best I can...and asking for help from my Heavenly Father...LOTS of help! We will get through anything if we can rely on Him!

4 comments:

Tawni said...

Wow, you said that soo well! I agree with everything you said. We as mom's have to grow up with our kids, and sometimes I act like the kid with how I handle certain situations.

Huston Family said...

You're a great mom. It shows in the way your children are. They are empathetic and kind, they love the Lord and try to do the things he would have them do. All we can do is keep trying, and keep praying! We miss you.

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Hope it gets better.

Lindsay Militello said...

AMEN!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...