Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One of THOSE days...

Last Week, I had one of THOSE days.  If you aren't a mother, you might not know what that means.  If you are a mother, you know EXACTLY what it means--and you are my best friend right now, because you will stand by and let me have my pity party for how HARD it is sometimes to be a mom--then you will still love me tomorrow, even though you know my big secret (that some days I'm convinced it's the worst job on earth)! First of all, let me explain that it was a Monday.  Monday means laundry day, which means I am in a bad mood anyway.  I don't even get dressed anymore on laundry day--because I am a freak, and I do ALL my laundry in ONE day.  And believe me--it takes ALL day.  For me, I have always liked it that way--and don't bother trying to convince me that doing a load (or two) every day is better.  Then I would feel like a SLAVE to the laundry--like I was always washing, folding, washing, folding---AAAAAGH!  Kill me now.  I so hate it, that if I was RICH--and I mean really rich (because it would take a lot of money to justify doing it), I would just send all my laundry out to one of those places that wash it & fold it for you!  I would pay them EXTRA to come and put it away so it didn't sit in my kids rooms all week and get mixed in with the dirty laundry like happens every week at my house!  Dang kids...but I digress...what was I talking about? 

Oh yeah--so I'm doing laundry, and I take a load of darks out of the dryer, only to find a RED crayon had been dried with my dark load, and now there are splotches of red wax ALL over my clothes, and the inside of my dryer barrell.  GREAT!  I know it was Jack that had the dumb crayon in his pockets.  He has been a little hoarder lately, since he realized he could stick stuff in his pockets, and he sticks anything and everything that will fit in those things.  We have also been finding random things in the lunch boxes, backpacks, and purses around the house as well.  Oh my--you might see us on the show in a few years...and I'll say "I KNEW IT when he was 3!".  So I have to take the time to go through EVERY article of clothing in that load of darks, and spot the wax with GOO OFF--(Who knew?  Google did.  That's who!) and re-wash the whole load.  It said to do it on HOT--but I was too afraid to shrink all of our jeans (we have a hard enough time getting into them as it is), so I did it on warm.  Well, it worked, mostly--but there were still some spots, so I had to wash them twice.  This put me behind 2 hours on my schedule--UGH!  Have I mentioned that I want to spend the LEAST amount of time possible on my laundry?  Oh, I have?

Anyway, I HAD to go take a shower and get ready, because we had something to go to that night, so I take my sweet Jack in my room, put a movie on for him, and get into the shower.  It was just a body shower (since I loathe washing my hair every day just as much as the laundry--another story for another post...yes, I already said I'm a freak...)--I hate taking so much time to get ready, so I was seriously in the shower less than 10 minutes.  Just enough time for Jack to get into THIS:
Lovely, right?  You can only imagine how long it took to clean up this mess off his face and his hair, much less off of my carpet and window!  Boy did he smell LOVELY too!  I just love how a toddler will yell at you to, as you try to carefully wipe the toxic diaper rash medicine from his eyes/eyelashes, about how mean you are, and how he doesn't LIKE you!  Oh, I'm sorry I'm trying to keep you from becoming BLIND!  You poor thing!  This is TOTALLY what I had planned for my day--thanks so much!  You know I am a seasoned professional at this by now though, since I had the presence of mind to get the camera so that I have PROOF of what a little monster he was!  The others I was so busy yelling at, I failed to document days like these for the ages.  Someday, my sweet Jack will do as Todd does, and tell his children what a SWEET child he was.  He will tell them that he NEVER had a messy room, and that his parents NEVER had to get after him.  He will tell his children that he was a PERFECT child, lovely in every way, and then--I will get out these books, and go through them page by page with my grandchildren, and point out that little Jack was every bit as mischievous as they are!  And then I will have my revenge...or will I?

Maybe, as we go through the books, we will realize that there were MANY more good days than bad ones.  And that THOSE days, in the grand scheme of things were very few and far between.  Maybe we will see pictures of when he was a baby, and marvel at how he grew up so fast, and how even though he was my baby, and I had already had 5 toddlers before him, I still didn't have much patience for toddler shenanigans!  Hopefully, they'll also see that although on days like THOSE I had no tolerance or patience to be found...there were many more days that I embraced my role as a mother, and I taught, and I loved, and most of all I learned.  I learned that we all make mistakes.  I learned that we all do stupid things.  I learned that we all need forgiveness, and patience, and love.  I learned that a little mess like a crayon mark on a pair of jeans, or a BIG mess like Desitin all over Jacks face don't have to ruin a RELATIONSHIP that will last into the eternities, and beyond.  There have been many of THOSE days in the 15+ years I have been a mother...and I'm sure there are more to come, but what's important to remember, I think, is that "this too shall pass...".  Someday, (since this is my last toddler, it will be someday soon...) I will look back and realize that THOSE days went WAY too fast--and you know what?  They weren't all that bad. 

Except for the laundry...laundry is bad, and terrible, and horrible, and awful.  Did I mention that I hate it?  Ummm, yeah,  I think I always will...

P.S.  Jack must've known I was up late writing this post, and feeling sentimental, because last night he woke me up around 3 a.m. by vomiting all over me and the bed...and this morning, our potty training has been interrupted by icky diarrhea...another one of THOSE days.  HA!

5 comments:

Velma said...

LOL!! Kids have a way of doing that kind of stuff huh!! keep up the treadmill when the weather is crappy tho', I remember my dad jogged around the house every morning and doing deep knee bends too! He will be 96 this July 16th if he can make it. I admired the way he stuck to exercising then, but now he can't do it ...he used to swim too. Good luck on the family challenge Tami and Todd.

Velma said...

By the way...I hate cleaning bathrooms the worst!! That is my worst nightmare...Why can't family help with this lovely chore!! What I hate worse is when your teenager leaves the toilet unflushed or the guys don't clean up around the toilet sometimes if you know what I mean, lol!! How about putting the seat down more often when they finish!!! Oh yeah, and what about mirrors...I could go on and on, but I diagress...hahaha. I could go on and on about other chores, but I will stop while I am able. LOL To me...Laundry is not that bad...but feel your pain. Someday I hope it passes for you. LOL Another peeve of mine is WHY CAN'T OTHERS HELP DO DISHES??? GRRRRRRRRR!

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

Oh boy... yeah that sounds like a day to forget. Anyday filled with laundry is a day to forget.

Awesome with the Desitin!

BTW, I just responded to a post of yours that must have been from last year and I don't know how it even came up and I totally responded to it like it was just recently and I feel even more dumb because I spelled Emie's name wrong. Oh well, at least I noticed it. ;-}

Tami said...

Kathy, it was just last month--and I just posted it last WEEK, so don't worry! As for how I instill that desire in her--seriously...she came that way! It's nothing I've done! You know me way too well to think that! :)

Erin said...

You're the best Tami. Yes, I am tired of people telling me to hang in there but I find it is the same cheer I am constantly giving to my friends! I keep remembering the saying, "Tomorrow might be the best day of your life, you just gotta get there." We just gotta get there girl! AND you are doing a great job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...