Monday, May 16, 2011

The Bread of Life...

I was thinking about bread this week...strange, I know. Stick with me while I try to make my point here.  Anyway, an angel in our ward this week, along with her son made homemade bread for a fundraiser for his Eagle Scout project.  We were the glad recipients of a loaf of delicious bread.  I was lucky enough to cut into it first, late on Friday night.  I cut a nice, THICK slice (just thin enough to fit in our wide slot toaster).  Then, I drenched it in real butter and honey and sat down with a big glass of milk in front of the TV.  One piece wasn't enough to make it through that whole glass of milk though, so I HAD to have another thick piece.  YUM!  When I got up in the morning, the minions had found the bread, and there was only the thick heel left.  That's okay--I love the heel too, toasted and slathered with Boysenberry jam!  Later, I found out that Todd had 3 pieces of toast that morning--which makes me think that the minions never even had a chance at that bread since their mom attacked it late at night, and Dad finished it off in the morning!  Oh my! 

Why the porkish behavior you ask?  Over a simple, homemade loaf of bread?  Well, Todd and I have been on a diet--well, pretty much for the last, well, 10 or more years???  If you have read this blog--you know that I am always working on staying or getting thinner.  Which tells you something in and of itself--since I never actually GET there.  But the only success in dieting I've ever really had was a few years ago after I had Jack and I went on a low-carb, high protien, low-sugar diet.  I lost 20 lbs. (of which, 10 came back), but it was pretty quick, and easy to follow.  Only problem??  No bread.  No pasta.  No sugar.  No FUN! This time around, we are in a contest with Todd's family members (and losing miserably--not pounds, but the contest), and I have gone back to that low carb diet and mentality--trying to stay away from the carbs and sugar.  But with that one slice of bread--oh man, I was in HEAVEN!  It made me think, though--I wonder if my theory is all wrong?  Doesn't Jesus, in fact say, "I am the Bread of Life"?  Didn't God, in fact, send down "Manna (BREAD)  from Heaven" to feed the Israelites in the wilderness?  So is bread in fact, EVIL?  When I go out to eat and take the bun off my hamburger--and don't have a problem eating all that cheese and beef, am I being DECEIVED??  Maybe, I am in fact following the diet of the DEVIL, (then again--isn't any diet of the Devil?)

I tried this justification out on my family at dinner tonight, while I was again gorging myself on some homemade biscuits and jam.  They didn't buy it.  In fact, I think they think their mother has gone completely off the deep end...(as if I wasn't there long ago).  Oh well, it made sense in my head.  Oh, and Todd was able to purchase 5 more loaves of bread yesterday from our ward angel--(SCORE!) so my diet the next few days will be the diet of the Lord.  We'll see if the Bread of Life puts me up a few pounds, or if it is, in fact, my manna from Heaven.  If you want to see my other vice--SUGAR--check out this post, click HERE.  That might explain a few things about my weight problem, that have NOTHING to do with BREAD.

2 comments:

Huston Family said...

Im on the same low carb diet and I have to say that I lose more when I am pregnant! And Im not planning on THAT weight loss plan anytime soon. Let me know if home made bread works, I may be able to stick to that one. PS Dan has lost over 100 lbs on the zone diet. Pain in the behind though.

Velma said...

I so love bread! It really has been hard not to eat that when on the HCG diet too. Now I am off of the drops, and I have gained back 5lbs and it is hard for me not to not eat bread and cereal, and with birthdays and mothers day....I ate cake and sherbert ice cream, and chips for the bbq that we had, plus Laura's daughter Kelly's homecoming and baby blessing for a niece in laws after party snacks...well you see...I am so sick of dieting and having to watch out that I don't gain anything back!!! I pray that I can maintain this weight lose with the Lords help Tami!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...