Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day this year was AWESOME!  It's the first Mother's Day in 5 long years that we didn't have to get up to go to 8:00 church!  So the kids made me breakfast in bed and the first time I opened my eyes to the world it was 9:50!  HOORAY!  The kids made waffles, with strawberries & whipped cream and lots of BACON!  (YUM)!  It's great the kids are getting older--they are great cooks!  They all gave me their little gifts, which were adorable, and I was so grateful once again for the sweet husband & children Heavenly Father has blessed me with.  I'm really not sure how I got so lucky!  I sure LOVE them!  Here's our pic before we went to church.  Todd gets the girls a little corsage every year for his "future mothers" in our family.  I think they LOVE the extra attention they get from their dad--and I think he loves the extra attention people at church give him for going the extra mile.  Wearing a corsage might seem outdated, or old fashioned, but I actually love it--I wear it with pride!  Some traditions just shouldn't go by the wayside if you ask me--Yes, a chocolate bar is nice--but I love the idea of a corsage as a token of appreciation from my sweet husband.  I love him so much!  Boy, we have had a rough year, but I know he loves me, and that he really appreciates the time and effort I put into raising our children.  Never in our struggles has he asked me to go get a job, or help contribute.  He has always been willing, throughout our marriage to step up and provide for our family--and I appreciate that so much.  It is rare in the world today to find a man who appreciates motherhood, and the importance of raising children as a CAREER like Todd does.  He has always supported me in my efforts, whether they were a success or a failure! (Trust me, there have been many of both!)

I wrote this post a few years back, but thought it was appropriate to post it again for Mother's Day! I'm sure I've only scratched the surface when it comes to listing the things I've learned as a mother--and I'm sure there are those out there with certainly more wisdom than me on this subject. I know one thing, motherhood is the toughest job that you'll ever love--and it certainly gives me more satisfaction than I ever thought possible. I am so grateful to be a mother, and so grateful for my mother, and Todd's mother, who we love with all our hearts. You are such great examples of the way I want to live my life...I love you! Happy Mother's Day!
15 1/2 years ago, my life changed. The doctor handed me a beautiful baby girl, 8 pounds 9 1/2 ounces, and Todd and I looked at each other and wondered, what now? I had no idea then, how much different I would be because I am a mother.
Because I am a Mother...*Because I am a Mother, rational thoughts have been replaced with constant worry.
*Because I am a Mother, I say things that make no sense to anyone who isn't a mother. Things like, "I'm going to beat the living daylights out of you!" Huh?
*Because I am a Mother, I can sleep through most of a Die Hard movie at the movie theatre, but the small sound of my newborn infant squirming next to me wakes me up in an instant.
*Because I am a Mother, I have fat rolls where my stomach muscles used to be, and empty gray matter where my brain used to be.
*Because I am a Mother, I finally appreciate my mother! Thanks Mom, I love you!
*Because I am a Mother, sometimes 3 hours of sleep has to be enough.
*Because I am a Mother, I have to be able to turn from Old Mother Hubbard into Marilyn Monroe in a matter of seconds. Just because I am a Mother, doesn't mean I can't be his wife!
*Because I am a Mother, I have to have a solution for every problem. What kind of mother lets her children struggle with problems on their own? (Maybe a better mother than me...)
*Because I am a Mother, my boobs have been used and abused. I wish I didn't have to go through pain and agony to get a new, improved pair. Sad, but TRUE!  (My teenager will love that one--don't worry honey--your turn will come...)
*Because I am a Mother, my days are full of some of the highest highs, and some of the lowest lows. Highs usually involve Coca Cola, or chocolate, and the lows? One word...laundry.
*Because I am a Mother, it's not about me anymore.
*Because I am a Mother, I have a chance to live another childhood through my own children. Adolescence? No thanks, once was enough!
*Because I am a Mother, I fear the evil in this world, and I'm determined to protect my children from it at all costs.
*Because I am a Mother, I feel guilty for the dumbest things.
*Because I am a Mother, I demand loyalty, and respect. I'm not a perfect mother, but I'm the only mother they get!
*Because I am a Mother, I blame the dryer instead of the Oreos when my jeans don't fit.
*Because I am a Mother, I'm never quite sure about anything! Ask my kids...
*Because I am a Mother, even when I'm exhausted, sleep evades me, and my mind races 1,000 different directions. Sometimes it's hard to just be still or feel at peace.
*Because I am a Mother, I can multi-task. I can nurse a baby while reading a book to a toddler, while checking my e-mail, and eating a bowl of cereal--this is all before 8 a.m..
*Because I am a Mother, I appreciate other great mothers--especially when their children are friends with my children.
*Because I am a Mother, "muffin top" has become a painful reality. Google it...you'll know if you are an offender too...
*Because I am a Mother, my head hurts--A LOT!
*Because I am a Mother, I am proud when my kids make good choices, and my heart breaks for them when they don't. It's true that when you're a mother, your heart walks around outside your body.
*Because I am a Mother, sometimes the only "quiet place" is in my toilet room. Sometimes I lock myself in there and hide for hours.
*Because I am a Mother, "DIET" is a 4 letter word, offensive in every way. If you mention "EXERCISE" you might get the same hostile reaction from me.
*Because I am a Mother, a clean house almost makes me cry for joy. Needless to say, most days the tears I cry are not tears of joy.
*Because I am a Mother, I am always teaching, whether I realize it or not.
*Because I am a Mother, things that would make a normal person vomit, don't even make me wince anymore. It's just another day at the office...
*Because I am a Mother, I can blame the 10 extra pounds around my middle on baby #4, instead of blaming it on my love/hate relationship with my treadmill.
*Because I am a Mother, my life will never be the same again, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Velma said...

Isn't it amazing the mixed emotions that go along in being a mom or a grandmother too as I have been learning. I never could imagine that I would be helping to raise my grandchildren when first becoming a mother! It has its challenges, but all in all it has moments when it is great too. I love my grandchildren, and am so glad that they do have good friends. Love your blogs Tami!! Love, Velma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...