Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lessons from the Game...

This week, I have been to a couple of Emie's softball games, and it has been really fun to watch her play.  She has been all volleyball up to now, first with the school team, then with club, and I loved watching her play softball for a change!  In her game on Tuesday, Emie's team was down by several points (I say that nicely--because they were down 8-0).  In our league there is a 10 run "mercy rule" where the game ends when the other team is more than 10 runs ahead at any point in the game, (which I think is stupid...but it's probably the PC thing to do so kids don't get their feelings hurt or anything).  Anyway, enter Emie, who gets up to bat at this point in the game, with really nothing to lose.  There hadn't been ANY hits to this point, so we were all pretty shocked and surprised when my baby girl whacked a ball HARD right over the left fielder's head!  Emie took off and rounded first, proceeded to second, and then, as the fielder scooped the ball up, I see her not even hesitate and head full speed toward her coach on third base (who has her hands up clearly trying to get Emie's attention to stop her on 2nd).  As she slides into third, the ball gets there at the same time--OUT.  Oh man.  I see her face and the sheer disappointment, and I couldn't help but feel bad for her.  She could've been the hero, with the one great hit, or if the third baseman would've missed, she may have had an in park home run and the only score for her team.  BUMMER.  At the same time, I'm thinking, "who is this kid?"  This can't be Emie--my careful, thoughtful, deliberate child.  She would never rush ahead full-throttle like that despite her coach telling her to stop.  I do have a child who would--that would be Erin--she won an award for it last year because she scored the most runs when the coach told her NOT to steal home and she took off anyway...but I digress...

So after the game, I go up to Emie and my only question was, "Did you look at your coach and ignore her, or did you never look at all?"  Emie says, "Mom, I didn't even look--I just RAN."  Later that night, as I was relating that story to Todd, I was telling him that as I drove home from that game, I was thinking about how much sports can teach you about life.  So many times in life, I think I have been in just that situation.  Rounding 2nd base, full throttle, and there is the 3rd base coach yelling and signaling for me to STOP!  Whether I don't see her, or I ignore her and run anyway, what I fail to realize is that my ignorance, or my stubborness is going to lead to my demise.  I wonder how many times I have plowed ahead with something because I thought it was how my life was supposed to be--it was what I wanted--when my Father in Heaven had something different in mind?  How many times have I insisted that MY WAY was the right way--even though He can clearly see more of the big picture than I can as I am running as fast as I can.  How many times have I been too stubborn, or too ignorant to listen?  To STOP?

Today, as we sat in the Celestial Room after a temple session, I was praying for answers for our current situation. The only thought that came to me was that I need to TRUST in the Lord's timing for our family, and that I need to be patient.  As much as I want to RUN as fast as we can to the end of this trial, as much as I want to have a victory, and have justice be done in our case, as much as I want a guarantee that things are going to turn out just fine, and that we are going to have a quick resolution to this lawsuit--I am not the one looking at the BIG picture.  Even though I have had moments when I have felt very alone, the fact is that as I sat in the temple today, I felt God's love for me.  I know He is aware of our struggle, and that in His time--he will help us make it right.  I just need to stop trying to "solve" it myself, and trust that God knows what He is doing, and that He will waive me into home when the time is right.  I needed that lesson this week, thanks Emie! ♥ 

2 comments:

Kim Christensen said...

Tami,
That was such a nice entry. I can relate to what you said so much. We have had some rough years as well and I have gotten the answer many times, be patient it is going to be O.K. I am not a very patient person so I have had to learn a lot along the way.
I love reading your blog you are always willing to share the good and the bad so openly. It really helps so many of us. I sincerely mean that. I love your family!

Huston Family said...

You are one of the most faithful people I know. The Lord knows you and will not leave you. That refiner's fire sure gets hot sometimes, doesn't it?! We'll keep praying for a speedy and happy ending.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...