Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lightbulb Moment!...

"Lightbulb Moment:  A light bulb moment is when you have a sudden realisation about something, like the light bulbs
used to indicate an idea in cartoons.
On Saturday, we ran into some friends of ours from our old ward at Nielsen's (where we were enjoying a little piece of HEAVEN called Nielsen's Peach Cobbler with vanilla custard...).  We sat and talked for an hour or so, and it was so nice to catch up!  Somewhere in the conversation, the subject turned to parenting teenagers--since we have them, and theirs are coming up fast (their oldest is 11).  I was talking about how it wasn't really that bad, you just have to thump them every once in awhile, and they get the point.  I mentioned how amazing my teenagers were, and how great they were, and how they were SO good, compared to the way I was when I was their age.  I mean, I wasn't awful or bad--I just had a hard time in junior high.  I had a little rebellious streak for those few years, where I lied to my parents a lot, I swore a lot, I had boyfriends (which I knew wasn't the best choice).  I just made some bad choices during that time in my life, and I was talking about how my girls were so much better, even though they face even more temptation than I ever did.  Then came the "lightbulb moment..."
Friend:  "So did your parents know you were doing all those things?"
Me:  "Are you kidding me?  NO WAY!" 
Friend:  "Really?  Are you sure they didn't know?"
Me:  "Yep--I was pretty good at keeping my parents in the dark."
Friend:  "Well???"
Me:  DING DING DING!!!!!  (lightbulb goes on in my brain...)
Oh, CRAP!
Now, excuse me, while I stick my head back into the sand and pretend that I didn't have that conversation!
Oh, the JOY of parenting!   

2 comments:

Huston Family said...

Nothing to worry about my friend. You've got some amazing ones!

Natalie said...

You have good kids and are doing a great job parenting them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...