Sunday, May 16, 2010

Track & Field...

Emie decided to join the track team this year since some of her friends were doing it, and she thought she would give it a try.  Of course, that means this poor girl had to listen to her mother drone on and on throughout the season about how much I loved/hated track in high school.  Poor thing.  I try not to live vicariously through my children--but man, sometimes it is HARD!  I kept giving her advice, and bugging her about signing up for running events, (she preferred shotput, discus & long jump--since the daily workouts were super easy).  Toward the end of the season, with 3 meets left, someone didn't show up, and they needed someone to run a leg of the 4 X 400m relay, so they asked Emie to run it.  She ended up running it in 1:16--the second best time on the team!  The next meet, she ran the open 400m and ran it in 1:15--giving her 2nd place in the meet!  So last week was the Junior High Conference track meet for Gilbert schools.  Emie ended up competing in the shotput, discus, and the 4 X 400m relay.  Shotput wasn't her best that day, but she got a personal best, over 60 ft. in the discus, earning her 5th place, and then she ran her leg of the relay.  I was giving her advice all day--since the 400m was my race in HS--(you know...like 1,000 years ago...), and I'm sure I was bugging her, but she ended up doing just as I told her.  I told her, your job is to catch the person in front of you, and not let anyone pass you--ever.  I videotaped her so she could see it, but my camera didn't have enough battery for the whole race--so you only get to see Emie's leg of the race.  Sorry for the yelling--but I've ran this race so many times--you need to have someone cheering you on around that last corner, or you think you're going to DIE!  Her team ended up finishing 2nd--but Emie sure gave this girl a run for her money!  Here's the video, and some pictures of the season.  SO proud of you Em for your hard work--and now that you have the confidence--next year you can go for it!  By the way--I will NEVER get tired of telling you the stories of my track days...I'm sure you can't hear them enough!  HA!

1 comment:

Huston Family said...

Congrats Emie. You're awesome!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...