Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crazy CROSSFIT!

Todd and I joined a local Crossfit gym near our house for a bootcamp in January to try to get in better shape & slim down.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect--but figured we were in for a good butt kickin'.  I felt like we were in pretty good shape since we had just finished training, and running a half marathon back in November.  Well--we may have been wrong!  The first week of Crossfit was amazingly tough--even with us being in good shape we were SO sore.  It felt like someone had beat the crap out of me.  Every muscle in my body was sore--heck, my fat was even sore, but we decided we were going to stick it out--it could only get better, right?  Well, let me tell you, we have been at this for 5 months now, and today, my body feels like it did that first week of Crossfit.  The amazing thing is, every day the workout is only 20-45 minutes--but it is INTENSE!  I am doing things that I don't think I could've done when I was 16--and sometimes I'm not sure if someone my age SHOULD be doing things like this!  Check out these sample workouts from their website--http://www.leiftimefitness.com/
These are some of the workouts Todd and I have completed:
FILTHY 50
For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

400M-PUSH-PULL-SIT-SQUAT
400M RUN
50 PULLUPS
400M RUN
50 PUSHUPS
400M RUN
50 SITUPS
400M RUN
50 SQUATS

SQUATACULAR
50 SQUATS
10 PULLUPS
40 SQUATS
10 BURPEES
30 SQUATS
10 K2E
20 SQUATS
10 WALKING LUNGES (EACH LEG)
10 SQUATS
10 BOX JUMPS

Finally, check out this one--(this was the one I came the closest to barfing...)
MURPH
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

Keep in mind that hard-core Crossfit people are doing workouts like these (which are the hardest we've done...there are many that are easier than these---but all of them are tough) EVERY DAY!  Monday through Saturday!  Todd and I are lucky if we can make it 4-5 timea a week with all of the kids activities--but we have really enjoyed the gym, and especially having a TOUGH workout.  I really enjoy having someone to push me--otherwise I would give up!  Neither of us have lost much weight--because we haven't been on a diet, but I have been able to maintain my weight just fine with doing only Crossfit--which has been great.  I have also noticed a lot more definition in my arms and my legs--especially my thighs and calves since we started the program.  My belly is harder--but I can't say that roll of fat is gone--I think I am destined to go to my grave with that danged muffin top that I earned about child #2...even though I've been doing crunches like crazy!  I feel like I am in crazy good shape though for being 36 years old.  I can even do pull-ups--by myself!  The other day I did 50 pull-ups (kipping style)... If you think you can't do pull-ups because you're a girl, watch this:

The workout I did was 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats--as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.  I did all the pullups without using the band or the box!  I was SO proud of myself!  Too bad my hands looked like this afterward:
Oh, well--NO PAIN--NO GAIN!  I am excited for this summer--my kids and my teens are signed up for the Crossfit Kids program (you can click on the service & fees at the top of the website to check times).  I am hoping they will kick their butt a little bit so they can be as  strong & tough as mom and dad are!  HA!

2 comments:

Yvette said...

Holy Cow! Your poor hands! Good job though! Don't you think doing all of those hard excercises or completing a 1/2 marathon changes your brain. You suddenly feel like you can accomplish anything and everything. Hope your kids can keep up:)

Sarah Williams said...

ya that whole diet thing sucks the fun out of life. at least you know you are getting better and stronger doing these workouts. and you aren't gaining weight...thats pretty good for NOT being on any sort of diet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...