Thursday, December 29, 2011

Happy Birthday TODD...Guns & Roses Concert!...

For Todd's Birthday/Christmas present this year, I bought him Guns & Roses Tickets!  I have to admit, I was a little trepidatious about this date--I wasn't sure what to expect from this concert!  Back in the day, Guns & Roses was a pretty wild band--and their concerts were pretty wild too.  I was laughing thinking about Todd and I surrounded by a bunch of heavy metal rockers smoking pot & drinking heaven knows what.  I was also worried about what to WEAR!  Silly right?  But nothing in my closet seemed right for such an epic occasion!  Finally, after a couple of trips to the store, I found something I liked.  Todd, well, he wasn't worried about what to wear--smart guy.  As soon as I got there I was feeling silly for wanting to be stylish to go to a rock concert.  The girls there were wearing anything from something that looked like a bra under a jacket, to leather skin tight pants, to cut up T-shirts.  I settled for skinny jeans, hooker boots, big earrings, big hair, and too much make-up, an ode to the 80's (although I just couldn't bring myself to try to re-create 80's bangs...there's no going back to those)!  Here's a picture of us before we left for the concert...'




Isn't he just GORGEOUS!  Sheesh, I am one lucky girl!  Love that guy!  Anyhoo...we went to get some sushi for dinner from RA!, love that place, then headed out to Phoenix for the concert.  We got there around 8:30 which means the doors had been open for maybe 30 minutes, and the line was CRAZY to get in!  We parked in the parking garage right across the street from the venue, but had to seriously walk 6 blocks to find the end of the line to get in!  It was nuts!  I have to say, it was an interesting group of people.  The profanity was flying, and being like we are (never even watching rated R movies), I just wasn't used to it.  I was hoping that the whole concert wouldn't be that way, with the F-word flying left & right!  We finally got seated around 9:30, and Sebastian Bach from Skid Row was the opening act.  Talk about the F-word flying!  He was a little crazy!  He kept saying "Happy F-Ing New Year!"  Then while he was singing, he would lean over and whip his long hair back and forth while he swung his microphone around over his head. My favorite song was one of Skid Row's classic songs "I Remember You."  Here he is back in his glory days with Skid Row:  (now just picture him 20 years older, fatter, less hair, and lots more wrinkly).  Smokin'


Axl Rose, and Guns & Roses didn't actually come onstage until about 11:30, and when they came on, the crowd went WILD!  They sang until 2:30 a.m.--I have to say, it was an AWESOME show!  I didn't know every song like Todd did, but the music was great!  Axl, unlike the previous act didn't use any profanity, in fact, he didn't talk to the audience much at all--he just SANG.  And that guy can SING.  He has one of the most unique voices you have ever heard, and it is a great voice, just as good live as on CD.  He is an amazing performer, working the stage, and so musically gifted.  November Rain was my favorite--he is so amazing on the piano, and it is such a moving song.  Sweet Child Of Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, and Patience, along with Paradise City were my other favorite songs.  I came away loving another of his songs called "Night Train", it was awesome.  The best part of the concert was seeing the pure awe, and joy on my sweet husband's face as he enjoyed the concert.  He LOVED it, every minute, and I am so glad I bought the tickets & surprised him.  Surely, it's the best gift I've given him in 18 years of marriage (besides maybe his 6 children--but it might be a toss up). Here are some pictures from the concert.  I wish I would have brought a little point & shoot camera, but these were just taken from our phones before they both died--pretty crappy pics, I know.




And just for fun, here's You Tube video of Axl live in concert singing & playing "November Rain".  He may be old, but he's still amazing!

Now, compare that to Axl in his prime--1992 in Tokyo (you're gonna LOVE his outfit here!) This was while Todd was on his mission, and he was DYING to go!:
Awesome!  Happy 40th to my sweetheart--who will always be YOUNG at heart! You know what they say...you are only as old as you feel!  ROCK ON BABE!

1 comment:

Bob and Sue said...

What a birthday.....thanks for taking such good care of my boy.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...