Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Need a Silent Night...


Sometimes I have a hard time keeping it together at Christmas time.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Christmas.  I love everything about it.  I love the gifts--giving and getting them.  I love the Christmas programs, I love decorating for Christmas, and getting plates of goodies and treats.  I love seeing the look on my children's faces on Christmas morning, in their new jammies, (it chokes me up a little bit every year seeing how they've grown).  I love seeing family, and hearing from long lost friends.  That being said, Christmas time is always just so BUSY!  Even though I am used to living in chaos, and I do it all year round--Christmas is just double the amount of chaos and craziness.  I am someone who wants to be a part of everything at Christmas.  I want to make and send cards and letters, and bake, and decorate.  I want to have fun holiday traditions, like wrapping 24 Christmas books and putting them under the tree, so we can open one each night and read it before bed, or have the kids do secret santa for eachother and do service for their siblings.  I want to find time to go to family parties, school plays, orchestra concerts, and to see the temple lights.  I want to find time to shop, because to me, the giving part of Christmas is my favorite.  I love to find the perfect gift, whether it be for my children or my parents, or my sisters and friends.  Giving gifts from the heart at Christmas is important to me, and I don't just want to rush out last minute to find something for someone.  I want them to know that I thought of them, and got them a gift they would love. 

Here's the problem:  when you couple all that I WANT to do at Christmas (all extra things), with what I HAVE to do to keep this house running, cleaning, keeping up with homework, callings, blogging, etc., I just get to feeling overwhelmed.  It happens every Christmas, and before I know it, I get to feeling like I can't possibly do all I want to do, and still feel the spirit of Christmas.  I know I need to cut down my long list of things I want to do--and simplify--but sometimes it's hard knowing what to cut out and what to keep doing.  Different kids love different things about the holidays, and what the older ones would be perfectly happy to cut out of our routine, the younger ones would be sad to do without, and vice versa.  I guess it's all about balance.  I have never been good at that, but I'm trying.  The most important thing at Christmas, is to remember that it is a celebration.  A celebration of this life that we get to live. A time to celebrate family, and friends, and traditions.  Most importantly, it's a time to celebrate our Savior, Jesus Christ, and to realize that without Him, without His birth, His ministry, His atonement, and His death on the cross we would have very few reasons to celebrate at all.  Because of Him, my sins can be forgiven, and that is the most important thing in the world to me, at Christmas time, and all year long.

This is a song by Amy Grant, on her Christmas CD, which is still my favorite.  I just love the message.  Someone put the song with pictures and created this video.  It helps me remember to slow down, soak it all in, and remember to keep Christmas in perspective.  Sometimes, all I need is a Silent Night, to remember what Christmas is all about.  Hope it touches your heart like it did mine...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...