Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Good Read...


I haven't blogged about the beach yet.  I haven't even edited my pictures!  In fact, my head has been buried in these books for the last two weeks.  I couldn't put them down.  Which tells you something--since I haven't really read a whole book, in like...years.  Wow.  I know--but give me a break--they have been years of pregnancies, and nursing babies, and busy toddlers.  My time and season is coming...I can feel it!  Anyway, these novels tell the stories of fictional characters, living in past, and modern day Afghanistan.  A world away...in a world that is so foreign, so backward to someone like me, who has grown up knowing nothing but freedom and peace--never war or bloodshed.  Both of the stories captivated my attention.  They made me think...and they made me cry.  They are not for young readers, mind you.  Even some older readers will not enjoy them, as they are not tales of happily ever after--(is real life ever, really happily ever after). The subject matter that the author, Khaled Hosseini, (who was born in Afghanistan, and lived there until 1980) covers is not pleasant, in fact, much of it was shocking to read--(not explicit--but PG-13 shocking).  However, I found that I could relate with the characters of both books, in that each character, in their own way, yearned, like every person born on this earth yearns, for one thing...happiness.  Each finds it in different ways, and for some--only in the sting of death will they ever feel happiness and peace--but that yearning for freedom and happiness is universal, isn't it?  I wonder with the billions of people on earth--how many actually find it?  Happiness and peace I mean?  It made me think about my life, and how spoiled I am, how lucky I am, to be born in such an amazing country, with the freedoms I have.  I realized how lucky we are, as women in America, to be treated with dignity and respect, and not like slaves, or worse.  Most of all, I am grateful that I am able to READ, be educated, and be able to learn.  Can you believe they can take that from you in parts of the world--even today?  Just because you are a woman?  It was shocking to read how women were treated in places such as Afghanistan.  Sometimes I take that for granted, and don't fill my mind with information on a daily basis as I ought to.  Here, on the internet, is a treasure trove of information, so much to learn, right at my fingertips!  I need learn to be grateful, much more grateful for what I have been given.  I am sure blessed.  SO blessed.  Finally, I sure hope that when our troops end up coming home, that the wartorn country can heal--and that the people (especially the women and children--who have endured so much) will have a chance.  I also hope that my children, and my children's children will grow up in the America that I have known.  One that was peaceful, and hopeful, and free.  Every child deserves at least that.



1 comment:

Amberly said...

these books are so compelling- very powerful stories and have an interesting writing style. Have you read the Glass Castle? Completely different setting, but gripping in a similar manner. Yea for summer reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...