Sunday, June 5, 2011

In BLOOM...

I have yet to get the hang of gardening...in fact, I have never really tried it due to the fact that A. we have never had a yard that was conducive to having a garden in it, and, B. I have killed every houseplant I have ever tried to take care of.  (Truth be told, I'm not much better at pets...)  Anyway, a few years ago, when we moved into this house, I let the girls plant some sunflower seeds in the front of our house in two empty planters that we have.  I didn't think much of them, but they watered them once in awhile, and low and behold...they GREW!  I was thrilled with the result--because I LOVE sunflowers.  They grow so big and tall (taller than me), and they are so beautiful and hearty, and well, they make me feel happy! Unfortunately, only one side grew last year, so we decided to help out the other side this year by buying some topsoil and carefully turning the soil over.  We planted LOTS of seeds in that side, thinking we would be lucky if we only got a few...OOPS!  Turns out, this year, our little flower garden is lopsided once again!  TONS of flowers grew on the one side we nourished (see if you can find our For Sale sign in that jungle...)--and the side that grew well last year had an irrigation problem and kept flooding, and before we figured out what was going on, many of the plants died.  Oh well, live and learn.  This was the result:

I'm sure my neighbors probably drive by and think, "These people are CRAZY if they think those flowers look good there.  It's certainly not the place really, for sunflowers.  But it is the only place in our yard where we can plant them--and I love them.  The kids love watching these HUGE flowers grow from just a little seed, and in a few months the Arizona heat will kill all of them anyway, so I will enjoy them while I can.  I also love taking pictures of them, knowing these blooms came from our hard work!  Now if only I could do the same as these flowers...and BLOOM where I'm planted...sigh.  I'm working on it...one day at a time.







1 comment:

ASHLEY ELDER said...

Those are BEAUTIFUL flowers!! Your girls did good :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...