Saturday, March 27, 2010

Emie's College Essay...

Emie had to write an essay a few weeks ago as if she were applying to a college.  This was what she wrote & I wanted to post it so I would remember it:
Emie Allen


Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.

If you ask any child who their idol is, you can probably bet their answer would be 'mom' or 'dad'. As they get a bit older, their answer might change to a popular movie star, or sports star. But at my age right now, I've come to appreciate the simple answer young children give when they choose their idol. One of the people who has had a significant influence on me is my dad. It's taken me a while, but I've come to truly appreciate what a great example he is to me, how much he's taught me, and how much I can learn from him.

One of the best lessons I've learned from my dad is the oldie-but-goodie, 'honesty is the best policy' lesson. My dad's honesty and integrity is apparent in everything he does. Especially when it comes to business, it's easy to lie, steal, and cheat your way to get to the top. But I've noticed that customers of my dad's businesses appreciate well-run, honest business. His employees also respect and trust him because he has proven himself to be reliable. Another way he has taught that me honesty is always best is through my own experiences. Whenever I do something wrong, I can either confess, or try to lie. If I'm honest from the beginning, the punishment is always much less severe than if I'm caught lying. In every part of life, honesty is crucial; I'm glad I have a great example to look up to.

Working hard is something I can have issues with at times. So I'm glad I have an idol who is one of the hardest workers I know. My dad has always worked hard, whether it be in athletics, school, or career. In high school, my dad was first in state for his position on the football team. He also kept up his grades, despite being extremely busy. When he was in college, he'd work at night, along with his attending day classes, to support my mom and I. He's always been the breadwinner of the family, and has never let us down. Another thing that adds to his great work ethic is his ability to get the job done on time, without complaint. He works just as hard as all his employees do, which makes him a fair boss. From his success, I've learned that if you work hard at everything you do, you can accomplish anything.

Although it may sound like it, my dad really isn't an all-work-no-play kind of guy. On the contrary, my dad is one of the most fun dad's I know. I might be biased, but I don't know too many other dads who like to take their families to the lake, California, Mexico, on road trips, and many other activities just for the fun of it. My dad likes to have a good time, especially with our family. And, he has the best sense of humor, which I've had the privilege of inheriting. It's unique, and something we can enjoy together since not very many people quite get it. This small characteristic has taught me an invaluable lesson; never forget to laugh at yourself. Whenever I'm stressed about homework, friends, and everything else teenagers get stressed out about, I just remember to take things lightly, and enjoy life. After all, you shouldn't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyways!

If someone had asked me ten years ago who my idol was, I'm almost positive my answer would be the same as it is today, despite the time that has passed. That’s because my dad has always been there to support me, encourage me, and inspire me. I don't know where I'd be without my honest, hardworking, fun-loving dad. Because of him, I try to reach new heights, and be the best I can be. No matter what life decides to throw my way, I'll be able to handle it, because I have the best example to follow. And that’s all I can ask for.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...