Thursday, November 12, 2009

Good Friends...

"Good Friends are like STARS--you don't always see them, but you always know they're there."

Sometimes, good friends are hard to come by. Luckily, in my life, it seems the opposite is true. My life has been filled with good friends, friends who have helped me through the darkest times, and pushed me when I thought I couldn't go anymore. Friends who have been there through thick and thin, and even through the ugliness that life brings to all of us sometimes. As I look back over my life, I realize that Heavenly Father has always known when I needed a good friend, and put that person in my path at just the right time in my life. Isn't it amazing when you think about how much Heavenly Father loves us, and how he always knows just what we need? We have had the opportunity to move, several times in our marriage. Each ward and community have been an amazing opportunity for us to meet new people, to learn and to grow. Each ward has been wonderful, and each time we think of moving I feel a stab in my heart for the friends we will leave behind.

When Emie and Erin were little we moved into the Taylor Park ward in Mesa. My neighbor was sent to me straight from Heaven. I was stuck home all day, without a car to get around, with two small children but Shauna was always willing to help. If she didn't have what I needed, she was quick to hop into her car to go get it for me, or sometimes she would just hand me the keys and I would run myself to the store, or do whatever errands I needed to do. Most of all, she helped to keep me sane! I didn't feel so cooped up in my little house, and knew I could get out if I needed to, even though Todd was either at work or school.

Fast forward a few years and another house, to Mesa Crosspointe Ward. What an amazing group of people! I remember so many friends, and so many kindnesses. Most of all, an amazing woman, Glenna Krummenacher--I was in YW with her, and I remember her saying she felt sorry that such a young mom got put together in Mia Maids with an "old grandma". She had raised 9 children, and the youngest was getting ready for a mission. Man, was she an amazing lady! I learned so much from her about children, and mothering, and that time is too short, and before you know it, they will be grown and gone. Man did I need to hear that with now 4 young children! That's what I love about the gospel--it brings friends together who would probably never hang out in real life, but man do we have a lot to learn from eachother!

Next was Bridlegate ward in Gilbert. Talk about a ward full of amazing friends! There were so many talented and amazing women, who I learned so much from. My visiting teaching partner, Heidi Gallant was one of those amazing women. She was so soft spoken, and kind, and loving. She absolutely LOVED being a mom. She reveled in it, and spoke often of her love for her children, and ALL that came with it--even the hard days. She would say, "I made this choice--and I am going to enjoy every minute of this journey." She taught me patience, and for that I was grateful--for with 5 small children now, boy did I need it!

We moved once again to Salt River Ward in Mesa--and I thought there was no way it could be as good of a ward as the one we moved from...boy, was I very wrong! We have truly never met so many good, humble people, in one ward! I was especially grateful to have women right in our neighborhood, and on our street who became cherished and wonderful friends! I had a ward full of amazing women and amazing mothers. I have never seen so many people who would give of themselves to serve others. I didn't have to worry about my children if I were late coming home, I knew that someone would always be willing to help out. I remember only a month or so after moving in, I came down with a kidney infection that was almost unbearable. My fever was a raging 104, and the back pain was so painful I could barely get out of bed. Todd was very busy at work, and couldn't help, and I just remember laying there crying as the kids destroyed the house. Right about that moment Natalie called on the phone, my neighbor who was also my Relief Society President. She was just calling for the heck of it, to see if we needed anything. I was amazed as women from the ward took my children all in, and kept them so I could sleep, and brought them back when Todd was home, along with a hot meal. I could repeat story after story of the love and service that I received in this ward! I can't even name all of the women who were such great friends or it would take another whole post! I felt loved, and accepted, and nurtured by all of those women! Isn't that what the gospel is all about?

Throughout this journey, I have had a few constants--a few friends who have always been there for me. One of those is a friend I made in junior high, Stori. We were 13 when we met, and she is one of the best, kindest, and most amazing women that I know. She has always been willing to listen to me drone on about my problems, my frustrations, my "issues". Since 8th grade she has been there for me, talking at least once a week. She was one of my bridesmaids, came to see me after the birth of each child, and we have grown together along this great journey of marriage and motherhood. We used to joke that we talked to eachother as "free therapy", so that we didn't have to pay a shrink, and we could let out all those things you just can't tell ANYONE else about yourself! We have shared our joys, our fears, our good days, and our bad. She probably knows me better than any person in the world, besides Todd, and somehow she still loves me! I love her so much more than she probably knows--and I'm not sure I could've made it without her on this crazy journey!

The other that comes to mind, is my family--my sisters and Todd's sisters, who are the best friends I could ask for. I always tell my girls "friends change, but families are forever". I have been blessed with such wonderful friends, who happen to also be my family! They have taught me so much, and loved me in spite of my flaws, and my mistakes. I love all of them so much!

In D&C 121:9 it says, "Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands." I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven, who has put friends in my path to enrich my life, and to sustain me during the hard times in my life! I am so thankful for the "warm hearts and friendly hands", that have made meals, cared for my children, and given me hugs that were sorely needed. I am thankful that we are here for eachother, and that we are not expected to do it on our own. I am grateful for the friends in the past, and those yet to come, and for the love in my heart for each of you. I just hope that I can be the type of friend that you have been for me! Each of you, and you know who you are--thank you, from the bottom of my heart! I love you!

2 comments:

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

Loved this post Tami -- a subject very near to my heart these days.

It is true, the Lord sends us Angels disguised as friends to help lift us.

Wonderful reminder.

Huston Family said...

You have amazing friends because you are an amazing friend, and you've taught your daughters to be the same way. What a wonderful gift to pass along!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...