Sunday, May 13, 2012

Because I am a Mother...

Happy Mother's Day!
I wrote this post a few years ago, but thought it was appropriate to post it again today! I'm sure I've only scratched the surface when it comes to listing the things I've learned as a mother--and I'm sure there are those out there with certainly more wisdom than me on this subject. I know one thing, motherhood is the toughest job that you'll ever love--and it certainly gives me more satisfaction than I ever thought possible. I am so grateful to be a mother, and so grateful for my mother, and Todd's mother, who we love with all our hearts. You are such great examples of the way I want to live my life...I love you! Happy Mother's Day!

14 years ago, my life changed. The doctor handed me a beautiful baby girl, 8 pounds 9 1/2 ounces, and Todd and I looked at each other and wondered, what now? I had no idea then, how much different I would be because I am a mother.
Because I am a Mother...
*Because I am a Mother, rational thoughts have been replaced with constant worry.
*Because I am a Mother, I say things that make no sense to anyone who isn't a mother. Things like, "I'm going to beat the living daylights out of you!" Huh?
*Because I am a Mother, I can sleep through most of a Die Hard movie at the movie theatre, but the small sound of my newborn infant squirming next to me wakes me up in an instant.
*Because I am a Mother, I have rolls where my stomach muscles used to be, and empty gray matter where my brain used to be.
*Because I am a Mother, I finally appreciate my mother! Thanks Mom, I love you!
*Because I am a Mother, sometimes 3 hours of sleep has to be enough.
*Because I am a Mother, I have to be able to turn from Old Mother Hubbard into Marilyn Monroe in a matter of seconds. Just because I am a Mother, doesn't mean I can't be his wife!
*Because I am a Mother, I have to have a solution for every problem. What kind of mother lets her children struggle with problems on their own? (Maybe a better mother than me...)
*Because I am a Mother, my boobs have been used and abused. I wish I didn't have to go through pain and agony to get a new, improved pair. (My teenager will love that one--don't worry honey--your turn will come...)
*Because I am a Mother, my days are full of some of the highest highs, and some of the lowest lows. Highs usually involve Coca Cola, or chocolate, and the lows? One word...laundry.
*Because I am a Mother, it's not about me.
*Because I am a Mother, I have a chance to live another childhood through my own children. Adolescence? No thanks, once was enough!
*Because I am a Mother, I fear the evil in this world, and I'm determined to protect my children from it at all costs.
*Because I am a Mother, I feel guilty for the dumbest things.
*Because I am a Mother, I demand loyalty, and respect. I'm not a perfect mother, but I'm the only mother they get!
*Because I am a Mother, I blame the dryer instead of the Oreos when my jeans don't fit.
*Because I am a Mother, I'm never quite sure about anything! Ask my kids...
*Because I am a Mother, even when I'm exhausted, sleep evades me, and my mind races 1,000 different directions. Sometimes it's hard to just be still.
*Because I am a Mother, I can multi-task. I can nurse a baby while reading a book to a toddler, while checking my e-mail, and eating a bowl of cereal--this is all before 8 a.m..
*Because I am a Mother, I appreciate other great mothers--especially when their children are friends with my children.
*Because I am a Mother, "muffin top" has become a painful reality. Google it...you'll know if you are an offender too...
*Because I am a Mother, my head hurts--a lot.
*Because I am a Mother, I am proud when my kids make good choices, and my heart breaks when they don't. It's true that when you're a mother, your heart walks around outside your body.
*Because I am a Mother, sometimes the only "quiet place" is in my toilet room. Sometimes I lock myself in there and hide for hours.
*Because I am a Mother, "DIET" is a 4 letter word, offensive in every way. If you mention "EXERCISE" you might get the same hostile reaction from me.
*Because I am a Mother, a clean house almost makes me cry for joy. Needless to say, most days the tears I cry are not tears of joy.
*Because I am a Mother, I am always teaching, whether I realize it or not.
*Because I am a Mother, things that would make a normal person vomit, don't even make me wince anymore. It's just another day at the office...
*Because I am a Mother, I can blame the 10 extra pounds around my middle on baby #4, instead of blaming it on my love/hate relationship with my treadmill.
*Because I am a Mother, my life will never be the same again, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
What about you? How has your life changed because you are a mother?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the way you write Tami! I say amen to it ALL! I need to cut/copy this and say this is just how I feel!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...