Monday, September 28, 2009

Georgia--Day 1...

Todd and I traveled along with his brother Dr. Greg and Tera to Atlanta, Georgia this last weekend for the ASU vs. Georgia football game. We had the most amazing time, and loved every minute of it! The flight there was a chartered flight that the Sun Devil Club arranged, and man, there is truly no better way to fly! No long lines, and we even got lunch on the plane--woo hoo! We got to Atlanta around 4 in the afternoon, and got settled into the Hyatt, Atlanta. We ate at a great restaurant that night called Bricktops that was right next to the hotel. It was delicious!
The next morning, we headed off to the MARTA station, kinda like the subway in Atlanta, and started our adventure.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We heard that we had to see Underground Atlanta, a shopping center that was all underground, and had been there since civil war times. When we got there we realized that it was truly in "inner city" Atlanta--and we started to feel a little nervous. It was pretty neat to walk around the buildings that were so old, and see some old cars and stuff, but we soon found ourselves wanting to get the heck out of that place...so we jumped back on the train and headed downtown.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We decided to go to the World of Coca Cola next, mostly because we could get free drinks...(if you don't count the $15 they charge you to get in)! Being the Coca Cola drinker that I am, (well, now that I am fatter, Coke Zero) this was like a Mecca of sorts for me, I would never have felt complete as a person until I visited this place! Ha Ha!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Turns out Coca Cola was invented here in Atlanta, by a pharmacist who came up with the concoction, but never really had a knack for marketing. He sold the formula a few years later to an entrepreneur for $2,600, and Coca Cola was born. The marketing blitz took off, and has never stopped. It is the most recognized brand name and logo all over the world. That poor guy who sold the formula...probably kicked himself for years for doing that! It was pretty fun to see how it was made, and all of the memorabilia over the years.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Then we went into the tasting room where you can sample all 60+ drinks that Coca Cola makes all around the world. The worst?? This drink called Beverly that they make in Europe--it made Nyquil taste like a yummy treat in comparison! My favorite?? I mean c'mon--Coca Cola Classic--which I would drink every day if I wasn't brainwashed into thinking diet soda would make me skinnier! But I settle for the next best thing...Coke Zero--and Cherry and Vanilla Coke Zero! Don't tell anyone--but sometimes my Coke is the best part of my day--that sound when I open it is like a little burst of heaven to my ears! Pretty sad huh? No, I LOVE it! Now you know my only vice...I always tell people, I drink my Coke so that I can stay here on the earth a little longer, I mean, if I was perfect I would be translated...what good would that be?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
They even had a 4D movie theatre--and a movie of how Coke was distributed around the globe. The glasses are always fun! (ummm...yeah, this is more of Todd's toungue than any of you wanted to ever see! He's such a nut!)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Next, we asked around to see if we could find an Atlanta restaurant with some good, Southern cookin'. We found out that Glady's Knights place was just a mile from the World of Coke, so we jumped at the chance to eat there--you know she's probably the most famous Mormon any of us have never met! Her restaurant is Glady's and Ron's Chicken and Waffles--and I'm telling you it was worth the walk! The fried chicken was delicious, even with syrup on it, and the waffles were awesome. On the side was homemade mac and cheese, "fried corn" that was to die for, collard greens (which I had never tried), and yams that were delicious, with corn muffins that melted in our mouths! To top it all off, a slice of southern Sweet Potato Pie! YUM! I'm comin' back to the south--just for the cookin'! The price was great too, under $80 for all four of us--for a TON of great food! If you're ever in Atlanta--GO!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
On the way home I couldn't help but snap pictures of some of the high rise buildings. I am still in awe of the big city--coming from a small town does that to you! It makes you feel so small to walk around a big city! What a great day in Atlanta!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

Love Atlanta, Love Marta!!

Tim served his mission in Atlanta... spending a good chunk right there in the inner city -- he could tell you a couple stories. We went to visit just over 3 years ago and I fell in love with the place. Can't wait until we go back again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...