Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Escape Artist...

Oh,man. My little Jack is becoming an escape artist! A few weeks ago, I left Abby to babysit for 10 minutes, while I went to pick up Emie and Erin at the school after volleyball. It turned out that they got a ride from a friend, and got here just in time to see a man carrying Jack around trying to find where he belonged. He had wandered out of the house, and was walking around in the front yard--barefoot--in 115 degree weather! The man rang our doorbell, but no one was answering, so he was going to go to the next house. I got home a few minutes later and the girls had brought him in and thanked the man for his help. Boy, did Abby get a yelling at for not watching her brother when I asked her to--she was in front of the TV where she was when I left her, and didn't even know anything had happened!
Fast-forward to this morning... Todd left to go to work, and I had 5 of my 6 kids home from school with this nasty stomach bug that has them all down this week. Everyone was in the living room watching TV, and I was in the study checking email and news for the day. Then I hear the doorbell ring. I yelled at the kids to go get the door--as I still had my pj's on, but no one would come, so after a few rings I run out there. What do I see? This sweet lady holding my Jack--in his little sleeper still, and another man who had seen him and stopped to see where he belonged. She told me he was walking in the street. That little stinker, I had seriously been holding him not 10 minutes before that. The sad thing is, he can't even open my front door, and I didn't think he could open the garage door either, but he opened 2 doors to go out this morning! Needless to say, I locked the deadbolt for the rest of the day so I could prevent him from escaping again! I am very grateful that we don't live on a very busy street--and that we have kind people in our neighborhood that were willing to stop and help, (and not call CPS on his negligent mother). It seems I have an escape artist on my hands...yikes! (But isn't he adorable!)
Photobucket
This isn't the first time I have had an escape artist--Abby was my other kid who liked to run off...although she wasn't quite this young when she started disappearing! We lost her when she was 2 in the beach club that we stay at. We were on the 3rd floor, and she wandered out of our room because someone had propped it open. I don't know how long she was gone before we noticed, but we were searching like crazy for her, when I found her in the basement parking lot in the maids quarters. Another time she got on an elevator in California without us, and we had to stop on every floor (like 15 of them) until we found her. Another time, we were at Todd's parents house on Christmas day, and everyone was playing, and I had the thought that I should look for Abby. She was no where to be found, so we started searching in the orange groves around their house. We finally found her about half an hour later, and she was about a mile away in the orange groves, just walking, and having a great time!
The scariest time of all was when Todd was working on starting his first funeral home. We didn't have any money, so we were doing all the fixing up and painting ourselves, and we had the kids down there with us. Abby was about 3 years old. I was painting, and the kids were all running around, and there were people going in and out moving furniture. All of the sudden, we hear someone banging on the front door, which was locked (so Abby wouldn't get out--she snuck out the back door instead). So I go and open it, and there is this man there holding Abby, and he proceeds to SCREAM at me, "what the bleep are you people doing, this bleeping baby is out here in the street, and it's rush hour." It was about 5:30 on a weekday, and the funeral home was right on the corner of Horne and Southern (a super busy intersection!). You should've seen the amount of cars on the street that day--it was truly a miracle that she wasn't killed or stolen. I immediately started to cry and apologize, and thank him for stopping to pick her up. His heart softened a bit, and he just said we needed to be more careful--which was great advice--but when your daughter thinks she's Houdini it's easier said than done!
I have thanked the Lord over and over again for saving my Abby, and I thanked Him again today for watching out for my little Jack. I am grateful that he sends angels to help when Mom isn't doing the greatest job! I need all the help I can get!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Huston Family said...

Hey, happens to us all. Ammon and Zach were my escape artisits! We've lost Ammon once at Target and they had it locked down til we found him, and found Zach once in the parking lot of our apartment building at 3am! Always so scary. And yes, your Jack's adorable, almost as adorable as mine!

Abby said...

im sorry i left you WORRING!!!!!

Heatherly said...

You are an amazing mother and I am sorry to say that I find a bit of pleasure in knowing I'm not alone! Love and miss you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...