Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sisters...

I am going to see my sister in Montana this week for a few days. It's a visit that I have put off for too long--and I can't wait to see her. I wish she could be closer, I miss her. I have been thinking a lot about my sisters lately. I am so grateful to have wonderful sisters. There is a quote that says, "Sisters are different flowers, from the same garden." I grew up with no brothers, and 3 sisters. My sisters and I are as different as it comes when it comes to our personalities. I have my oldest sister, Shelly--as determined, brave, and courageous as they come. She has always lived her life to prove that a woman can do anything she sets her mind to. She works as a U.S. Marshal (yes, seriously)--a woman in a man's world. She is amazing to me, how she balances work and family. She is fiercely loyal to her family, and her children--protecting them at all costs. She has always been there when I needed her, and I have always been able to count on her. When she sets her mind to something, you can be sure that she will accomplish it. She has never been one to give up. She has taught me to persevere, to overcome, to set my goals high.
My next sister, Kimbie, is also amazing. Mother of 8 kids, the oldest 11, she is patient, loving and kind. Always teaching, always guiding. She is such a good example of testimony, and service. I have always looked up to her for the way she is obedient without question. She just went from a few years as Primary president, right into gospel doctrine teacher--WOW. When I have needed advice over the years, she was a great sister to lean on, never judging, but always willing to listen.
My youngest sister, Wendy, is the sweetest, kindest person on earth. I am serious when I say she would give you the shirt off her back if she knew it would help. Avoiding confrontation at all costs, it was sure not easy for her to grow up with a sister with a fiery temper like mine. I have found as we have gotten older that she is so forgiving, of all my bad qualities. I love to talk to her about life--she is always so positive. Even when things are going wrong for her, she rolls with the punches with a smile on her face, and determined to make things work.
I am so grateful for these sisters that are part of my family. Each of them have taught me so much about what I want to be, who I want to be. Even though we are all so different, we have a special connection. I don't live close to two of my sisters, but I can tell you of more than one occasion that they have had things happen to them, and I have known something was wrong before they called. I have had times when I have prayed for them, for no specific reason, only to find out later that they were in need of a special prayer. I can tell you that even though I don't talk to them as often as I would like, I think of them daily, and our connection is strong. Sisters are just like that--I feel like our spirits are connected in a special way.
I have also been blessed to join Todd's family, and gain an additional group of sisters, who are not related to me by blood, but are none the less my family. Each of them have touched my life in such a special way, and I love them so much. I am surrounded by such wonderful examples, such wonderful women and each of them make me want to be better.
Besides the wonderful women I am related to, I have been blessed to have sisters in my ward who have served my family so many times over the years. They have done so much to make my life easier, and to show me an example of Christlike love and service. What would I do without SISTERS??? I think that as women, we are all sisters. We are all different flowers from the same garden--our Heavenly Fathers garden. He wants us to watch out for each other, to nurture each other, to care for one another.
In the last few years, I have finally settled into being called "Sister Allen" at church. Even though I've been a member of the church all my life, it has always made me feel so old to have people call me that. Now, I realize that it's an honor to be called "sister". It means we aren't just people down here with no relation to each other, left on our own to figure things out . We are sisters--we are related--we are all linked together, for eternity. We are all in this together--me and you. Sisters-- and friends.

4 comments:

Real Mom, Real Life said...

Love this!

Sisters are the best. Mine lives so far away and I wish she were close so we could just hang out...

Great post!

Kristine said...

Hey! It was fun to find you from Yvette's blog. I keep wondering how life is for you and your family, now I don't have to wonder any more!!
Kristine

ALLEN'S MAKING MEMORIES said...

Sisters are the best!

Natalie said...

Sisters are the greatest! I am so thankful I was blessed with sisters as well. I don't know where I'd be without them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...