Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Summer!

"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit.  A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all is right in the world."  Ada Louise Huxtable

I found this quote the other day, and I just love it!  It describes all that I love about summer.  I love that in the summertime, I feel free.  Free from homework, responsibilites, and obligations.  Free from carpools, deadlines, and stress.  Unless you count a dirty house as stressful--then I am not free of stress.  Lucky for me, I'm not that hopeful that the house will stay clean.  It seems if you set your expectations low, you will be easily impressed!  Boy, I wish I would have realized that 15 years ago--along with so many other things.  Sometimes I wish that my 38 year old self could sit down with that 23 year old self, and have a conversation about life, and parenting.  I could really have used some wisdom back then--and some assurance that things would work out just fine, whether I worried to death over them or not.  I'm so glad for perspective.  It is such a blessing.

The other thing I love about summer is that my lazy self can stay up late, and sleep in late, and all is right with the world.  During school, I stay up late anyway, and have to drag my butt out of bed in the morning, and boy do I hate it.  I know, I'm not supposed to admit that, but you might as well know it.  I love sleeping in--sometimes until 10!  When the boys get up at 6 or 7, I get woken up a few times to fix a bagel, or stop a fight, but I love that I can just go get back in my cozy bed, and there is no where to be.  It's my favorite thing in the world.  Yes, I'm sleeping life away--which makes early risers (like my husband), crazy--but it is me.  Some people want to sleep when their dead--I want to get plenty of rest while I'm ALIVE!  Ha!
We are heading to our favorite place in a few days.  Oceanside.  I can't tell you how much we look forward to this trip each and every year.  We have been going to the same resort for over 20 years now, since Todd and I have been married.  Emie took her first steps there 15 years ago, and it is just a part of who we are.  We are antsy this week, knowing it's coming.  And we will be sad at the end of next week, because it will have been over too quickly.  Hopefully I'll have some time to get some blogging done, and catch up on my blog book (which is going so stinkin' slow this year).  But if I don't--oh well. I will have time to relax, and sit on the beach, and worry about--NOTHING.  I have a whole summer to get things done!

Happy summer!

1 comment:

ed said...

SOO excited for your beach week! They really are the best. Enjoy every second, you deserve it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...