Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting OLD stinks...

I know I've been getting old for a long time now, after all, when I was in my teens, I thought people who just had kids were OLD.  When I was in my twenties, I thought people who had teenagers were OLD.  Now that I'm in my thirties, staring 40 in the face, I am starting to really feel OLD.  I especially feel it when I'm working out.  While I used to have a ton of energy, now I just feel tired, and sore all the time.  My muscles and joints ache with pain before, during, and after a workout.  Last night in bootcamp we did bleachers, and my knees felt like they were going to pop right out of their sockets at any moment and buckle under my (still excessive, but trying) weight!  Oy. I raced Abby across the football field yesterday, and she blew me away!  Can you believe in high school, I ran a 400m dash in less than a minute?  Now, that same race is a struggle to complete in under 3 (and I feel like dying afterward)!  I've even pulled out a few gray hairs--(those are coarse, nasty little buggers). Sometimes when I look into the mirror in the morning, I see a tired, OLD woman looking back at me, with rings under my eyes, crows feet, and wrinkles where there used to be radiant skin.  Last week, while I was shopping, I found this for $5 on a clearance shelf:

Doesn't she look beautiful?

So, I bought it!  I went home and dyed my hair the beautiful shade of brown in the picture, and dreamed of looking like the lady on the box.  The only problem?  My hair is not luxiouriously beautiful and exotic like hers...and, umm... neither is my face.  I was a little disappointed when no one even noticed that day that I dyed my hair!  I guess it takes more than a box of $5 hair color to turn back the clock!  For all the women out there like me, who are looking for a quick fix, this isn't it! Maybe my next stop needs to be botox, so I can replace the wrinkles with one of those painted on happy looks!  Either that, or I just need to accept that I'm going to get old, and resign myself to the fact that I am going to look older as well. Dang.  I guess it's not all bad--at least I'm not in my 50's yet--now THOSE people are OLD! 

2 comments:

ed said...

Someone once told me that you are only as old as you feel. Crap. Sometimes I sure feel old. I too wish a $5 box of hair color or even botox would fix those feelings!

Sharla said...

Hey, you earned every one of those grey hairs, and smile lines. Embrace them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...