Thursday, January 7, 2010

Word of the Year...


Last year I blogged about my word of the year (read it HERE). I did it because I had seen several people blog about their word of the year, and it seemed like a fun way to focus in on my life, and really think about something I wanted to change this year. I really think that having that word in the back of my mind all year (JOY), helped me to focus on what was really important, and really helped me to be a happier, more joyful person. I feel like I was able to enjoy my family more, and not think so much about all of the things I needed to do--but to live in the moment, and take each day to focus on what we are all really here for: "Men are that they might have JOY!" Still love that scripture!
I have been thinking about what word I wanted to use this year, what I need to work on, and I haven't been able to come up with anything. Not that I don't need to change anything--of course I do. Part of the problem is there is too much I need to change, and one word wouldn't suffice. So I was stumped...until today.
I was reading in the Book of Mormon in Second Nephi, chapter 2, where Lehi is getting ready to die, and he is talking to his posterity one last time, telling them of his love for them and his love for the gospel. I have often wondered what it would be like, if I knew I only had a certain amount of time left on this earth. What would I do? What would I say to my children, to my husband? Would I have regrets? I think that Lehi was such a trememdous example, he took each of his children, and blessed them, and gave them counsel, specific to them before he left the earth. The part that stood out to me though, was in 2 Nephi 2:30, where Lehi says:
"I have spoken these few words unto you all, my sons, in the last days of my probation; and I have chosen the good part, according to the words of the prophet. And I have none other object save it be the everlasting welfare of your souls. Amen."
It was like those words just jumped off the page, and into my heart. The question I wrote in the margin was, "Have I chosen the good part?" I think most of the time, I can answer yes, I try to choose the good part. But there are always SO many distractions...so many things that take my focus away from what is really important in this life--my family, the gospel, my testimony, and instilling that testimony in my children. I think so many times my spiritual life gets so crowded out by the every day craziness. So many times, I sit at the end of my day, and think of what I accomplished that day--and it is usually a VERY long list, but what did I do for my spiritual welfare that day? What did I do to come closer to my Heavenly Father, and my Savior that day? That is usually a much shorter list, and I need to focus more on that.
So my word for the year is CHOOSE--more specifically, "choose the good part." I really feel like if I can keep this phrase in my head, that it will help me in all aspects of my life. I can choose to be healthy, I can choose to be patient, I can choose to be kind, I can choose to be a better mother, a better wife, a better daughter. Every day is about choices, and each day I need to choose the good part--for myself, and for my family, just as Lehi did for his. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin gave a talk (HERE) on this subject a few years ago, called "Three Choices" and it came to my mind as I was writing this, part of it says:
"Our destiny and ultimate fate depend upon our daily decisions.
The great Old Testament prophet Joshua knew this when he said, “Choose you this day whom ye will serve; … but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Joshua understood how critical it is to choose without delay to be more righteous. We too should decide now. Will our lives be filled with regret and despair? Or will we repent and strive each day to make our days worthwhile and meaningful?
Tomorrow’s joy or tomorrow’s despair has its roots in decisions we make today. Perhaps some people think to themselves: “I know I need to change some things in my life. Maybe later, but not now.”
Those who stand at the threshold of life always waiting for the right time to change are like the man who stands at the bank of a river waiting for the water to pass so he can cross on dry land.
Today is the day of decision."
Today is the day of decision
--I LOVE that! So I will choose today, to become closer to the Lord, to focus more on what He would have me do, on what He would have me be. I will try to "choose the good part." If I can do this, 2010 may be the best year yet!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...