Saturday, January 30, 2010

Not so Heavenly...

This past weekend we have been HERE: Heavenly Ski Resort in Lake Tahoe! The view from the mountain was absolutely breathtaking! The weather was perfect, and man, did I look fabulous in my new ski outfit! The only problem? I am NOT a skier. I thought I could do it--I thought if I just took a few runs down the bunny hill, that my natural athleticism would kick in, and I would ski just fine. This was only my second time to ski in my life. Last time was two years ago, I was 7 months pregnant with Jack, and chubby and round, but I thought I would do okay--how hard could skiing be? Well, I did great on the bunny hill, and headed with Abby and Todd up the mountain. I did okay on my first run down a green run, then when we were getting off the lift a second time and Abby skied into me and I totally wiped out. I hit my head and blacked out, and the ski patrol brought me down the mountain. That was the end of skiing on that trip! I didn't want to risk the pregnancy doing something stupid!

This time I thought it would be different--I wasn't pregnant, in fact I am probably in better shape than I have ever been. We have been working out, I am a great weight, and I am stronger than ever. I was right about the bunny hill, I totally rocked it! I thought I was a natural! Todd decided that we could just skip the green runs, and go right up to the blue, since we are with Todd's sisters and their husbands, and they all know what they're doing. I thought--okay, I can do this. There are very few times in my life that I have been as SCARED--as in pee my pants scared, as I was when I saw the steep runs I had to go down. The first run, I just said, okay--here we go, and pushed off full speed down the mountain. I had my first major wipeout right next to a "scenic picture" area, where there were tons of skiers taking pictures. I gave them a real scenic picture alright! Let's just say, I kept trying, but I didn't get much better! Todd was amazing, and patient, and VERY sweet considering that I was almost in tears every time we would come to another run, and I complained pretty much the entire time, because I could NOT figure out how the heck people ski down no problem. I tried to pretend I knew what I was doing, but anytime I gained any speed, I would end up out of control and wipeout. Around lunchtime--I was mentally just DONE! The girls just sat for an hour and talked while the boys went on a few more runs, then I had to conquer one more run to get down to the gondola to go back to the hotel. My goal? Just get down that blasted mountain without falling again. I was going to snake it--slowly... Ummm....it's pretty bad when your last run is even worse than your first! There were TONS of other skiers, since it was the last run, so I wiped out not once, not twice, but THREE times! I think Todd was trying to stay back and pretend he didn't know me by this time! Poor guy...how embarrassing! I love him so much--he didn't say one negative thing to me the whole time!

Needless to say, my favorite part of the day was that gondola ride back DOWN the mountain! The next best part was taking off those ski boots and walking on my own two feet, (which I am VERY good at) back to the hotel room. Then, a very nice dinner at the Chart House was the best! It might be awhile before I get the nerve up to put those skis back on again! I actually had nightmares last night about skiing! I'm not a very good sport when I am TERRIBLE at something! I think my 5 year old was better at skiing than I was today! What a humbling day! Today, Todd is out having a great time by himself, actually skiing at a normal pace, and I'm sure he's not missing me! I am sitting here blogging--and very much in my comfort zone! HA! Pictures come later...and NO--he didn't take a picture of me wiping out--that would be embarrassing!

1 comment:

Trasi28 said...

I for one am proud of you! You kept trying. Not me, I saw that big hill and thought, ''Great, it's time to die!'' I literally walked down the whole thing. It's definitely not for me, and I will never try it again. I am so glad you are having a nice time! You both deserve this!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...