Monday, October 19, 2009

FHE=FIGHT Home Evening...


Tonight I taught the lesson from the Ensign about the lies that Satan tells us--and how we constantly think that we are not worthy of the blessings that the Lord wants to give us. It talked about how we shouldn't compare ourselves to others, and how the Lord doesn't compare or have his children compete for his love, he loves us equally. It talked about Satan always makes us feel inadequate, unworthy, and like we can never measure up. It talked about how those things can make us discouraged, depressed, and despondent. It was a really good article--you can read it HERE.

I always feel like teaching a lesson to my children is kind of like standing up in sacrament meeting and giving a talk. You look out at the audience, and some people are yawning, (Emie), some are nodding off (ummm...Todd), some are fighting, (Erin & Josh--though I have to give her credit for trying to make him listen), some are just plain in la la land somewhere and haven't heard a word that you said (Abby), some are running around biting people (Jack), and tonight we had 3 extra kids (David and Jessica's kids) to add to the mix. I guess I sort of bit off more than I could chew when I decided to teach a 15 minute lesson, instead of a 5 minute one, but I feel like my teenagers and older kids really need the "meat" of the gospel--instead of the 5 minute "mini" lessons lately. I really feel like they are missing out sometimes when I focus on the little ones and don't dig deeper to teach real gospel principles. Man, within 2 minutes I was almost begging for someone, anyone, to listen to me. Within 5 minutes, Todd had grabbed Josh and the look in his eyes told me he was going to throttle that kid to death if he didn't at least sit still for a minute or two. Within 10 minutes, I was SCREAMING at people to listen (no really, I mean literally screaming)--boy, if that doesn't invite the spirit to be with our family--I don't know what does!

So another family night down the tubes--and guess what is popping into my head?? "What a terrible mother you are--you can't even get your kids to sit reverently for 10 minutes..." "I bet other mothers have obedient children...where have you gone wrong..." "You might as well just throw in the towel--family night just isn't worth it, no one is listening anyway..." "Maybe if I was as creative as _____ (insert just about anyone's name here--they are all more creative than I am), I could give lessons that would actually capture someone's interest..." "This son (who just turned 7 a few days ago), might not make it to 8..." You get the picture.

Man, isn't it amazing that even after trying to teach my children about the lies Satan tells us--within a few minutes my whole mood had changed, I was discouraged, despondent, and depressed? That is how powerful he is, and how easy it is to let my guard down and let him into my head. The truth is, my Heavenly Father is proud of me for my effort. He is proud when I try my best to teach my children. He is patient and kind and loving when they make mistakes--and I should be as well. He will bless me if I try and do what is right, regardless of the outcome. He loves me for who I am--temper and all. He loves each of my children for who they are--even when they're rotten! There is always a second chance, and a third, and a fourth and on and on. He will never give up on me, so I won't give up either.

We'll sit down next Monday night and give it another shot, because I'm not going to let Satan win--not when my family is at stake.

5 comments:

Yvette said...

You're not alone my friend. Just know you are not alone...

The Causey Family said...

I think we all have gone through this. We feel your frustration. The key is and you said it yourself. Don't EVER give up. Just pick yourself up and try again next week. Satan is so smart and he will do anything to get in. We just can't give up and let him. The best thing about reading this is that you are fully aware of what he is doing and that is the key...

Cassi101 said...

Sounds exactly like our family night!! With the screaming,la la land, and yawning!!!

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

Yup -- that about discribes our family nights... wouldn't be complete with someone crying or getting mad... and then there's the children! :)

I think we just have to keep trying. They may not remember the lessons, but they will remember their parents were trying to follow the council of the prophet -- and that is a vital lesson in and of itself.

Good luck next Monday!

Huston Family said...

I've been holding FHE for nearly 15years,and I can count on one hand how many I thought turned out ok. I can only pray that one day my grandchildren will avenge me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...