Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pain in the...FOOT!

A few weeks ago I was walking into my closet and stepped on something--OUCH!  I looked down and picked up a spool of thread with a needle sticking out of it.  (Funny thing is...I can NEVER find a needle in this house when I need one)!  Anyway, upon closer inspection of the little hole in my foot--and the needle, I realized that the needle was broken and the broken part was still in my heel!  Todd and I got out some scissors, and tweezers and tried to dig it out of there, but it was up too far in, and we couldn't get it out.  It was actually right before we were going to go to the gym, so I headed over there anyway, and had an interesting workout trying to do weighted squats with my one heel up (they were kind of like one-legged squats--and I looked like an idiot)!  Anyway, the needle didn't hurt so bad, unless I stepped on it, so for the next day I waddled around on my toe thinking it would "work its way out".  The day after that, Todd talked to his dad who said we better go in and get an X-ray just to see where it was, and Todd's brother recommended a good foot doctor who might be able to get it out!  We went into his office with the awesome x-ray, it looked easy enough to get out right?  Not really.  The doctor said it was kind of like trying to find a needle in a haystack...literally.  He wasn't sure he wanted to do a procedure in the office to try to remove it, he thought it would be better to go to the operating room where he could do ultrasound and locate it there.  After we begged him (wanting to save money of course--we have a $10,000 deductible) he agreed to try to dig it out with the understanding that we might end up in the operating room anyway, and it might make it worse.  After a PAINFUL shot to numb my heel (Todd had to basically lay on me to hold me down to the table while I digged my fingernails into his arm), the doctor was able to dig a much larger hole in my heel and luckily he located the needle and pulled it out!  HOORAY!  I thought it was great until I saw the HUGE hole in my heel!  Then when the medication wore off, I thought I was going to DIE!  The next two days were not fun at all!  Thankfully it only cost us $800 for the x-ray and the doctor bill--it could have been much worse!  Now it has been two weeks, and I am almost back to full function.  It's amazing how much trouble a little teeny needle can cause.  I am watching where I step more closely these days!  Stupid Needle!

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a relief to get that out! Now you can enjoy your trip! Have so much fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...