Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Facing your Giants...

This is one of our favorite Sunday movies:

And I always bawl like a baby when I watch it!  Did you know it's rated PG for "thematic elements"--meaning it has too much religion in it?  Oh my.  The most G rated movie you could ever see!  Not a bad word, not even so much as a kissing scene.  The theme of the movie is "With God, all things are possible".  Super PG, right?  Anyway, we were watching this movie on Sunday, and I was just so touched, again, by the message.  The movie is about a man who coaches a football team, that has struggled, and lost, despite his best efforts.  At the same time, he and his wife are struggling financially, and emotionally because of infertility.  In his agony, he reads scriptures from the Bible, and prays, that the Lord will guide him and direct his efforts.  And He does.  The result, is a new focus on not just winning games, but on winning in life.  The focus is on glorifying God in all that we do and say, and honoring God, whether things go well, or don't go well in our lives, and having faith in His plan.  Here is one of my favorite quotes from the movie--but if you haven't seen it--SEE IT!  You will cry...guaranteed.  So grab a tissue & enjoy!

"I feel that there are giants of fear and failure staring down at me, waiting to crush me. And I don't know how to beat 'em, Lord. I'm tired of being afraid."

We all have giants of fear and failure, disappointment, and despair staring down at us at different times in our lives.  We have to realize that with God on our side--nothing is impossible!  He will be there to help us, no matter how small, how insignifigant we might feel.  It reminds me of another of my favorite quotes, that I first heard on Akeelah and the Bee, by Marianne Williamson, it says:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

We are not here to play small.  We are here to glorify God, and to use his glory to serve and help others come unto him.  To do this, we need to constantly prepare our hearts and our spirits for inspiration, and for His help.  Here is one of my favorite clips from the movie, where Grant Taylor is reminded that just having faith isn't enough, we have to exercise that faith for God to bless us.  What an amazing lesson, and one that I have had to learn over and over.  I am a slow learner, but thankfully, I have a Heavenly Father who is patient with me.  :)


Which one are you?  Something to think about today.

1 comment:

Amberly said...

love this recommendation... I need to watch this, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...