Thursday, January 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Ash!...

Last week, Ashlie Sue turned 7!  Can you believe it?  I can't.  Seems like yesterday that that girl was just a little fussy thing, a permanent attachment to my hip, a hindrance to all of our sleep, and a constant assault to my ear drums.  Looking at her now, you would never believe that this perfect child would have ever been the baby from he!!--but you know what?  She was.  By the time I reached baby #5, I thought I had this whole mothering thing pretty much down to an art.  I had enjoyed each of my babies more than the last--(toddlers, well, that's another story--I am way better at babies than toddlers), then along came miss Ashlie Sue.  She was born into this world feisty, crying when she emerged from my womb, crying while they weighed and measured her, and crying pretty much the whole first night of her life (I sent her to the nursery a few hours into the night--but they assured me she was not a happy camper there).  Ashlie was a just a sensitive little thing.  Fussy about noise, fussy about nursing, or being held a certain way, fussy about being handled by all of her siblings (and trust me, they would NOT leave her alone), she was just NOT a happy camper for the first couple of years of her life.   I brought her to the doctor several times, just concerned that there HAD to be something wrong with my child--she was just never very happy.  They looked and looked, but found nothing.  I was worried that this sour disposition would last into adulthood, and then suddenly, around the two year mark, when my love/hate relationship with my children usually starts...Ashlie decided she was okay.  She's funny that way.  Ashlie decides what is right for her, and when.  She is more cautious, she takes her time, and she makes her decisions her way, always has.  She ended up being the best toddler I have ever had.  Never a tantrum, never a problem.  Naptime?  No big deal.  Potty training?  A breeze.  I wondered if an evil spirit had possesed her body for the first few years or something, that's how big the difference was!  But boy, was I grateful, and I continue to be grateful for the special spirit that took its place!  Ashlie is such a joy to have in our home!  She keeps everyone on task, and makes sure that all of us are staying in line.  She is the biggest helper, and is always willing to do what I ask her to.  I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for the chance I have to raise her, even though those first few years, she gave me a run for my money!

For Ashlie's birthday, we started the day with her QT donut cake.  Todd floated the idea of doing something different this year...maybe something healthier, but our kids quickly let him know that wasn't going to fly, so Dad did his duty & got the donuts!  I let him know that I'm pretty sure that the fat around our middle isn't coming from the 8 times a year that we eat donuts on our birthdays--umm...it's probably the other 357 other days of eating a bunch of crap that does it!   Anyhoo--she ate her donut, then opened her presents, her favorite was the Silly String we bought her--which was quickly used to blast her brother while he was playing Wii!  Then her and Jack headed outside for a real fight!  That night we took the family to Peter Piper Pizza, and they had a great time playing games together.  The next day was not so joyful, as they all had to go back to school.  I think the saddest one was me!  My house is a disaster when my children are all home on break--but I am willing to put up with that for the luxury of sleeping in until 10 a.m.  (My secret joy--being lazy!)  The kids all had a hard time this year getting back into the routine, especially my Erin, who is taking an A hour class this year with Emie that starts at 6:30 a.m..  She told me that she cries, pretty much every morning before school because she is just SO tired and doesn't want to go!  Poor thing.  I feel her pain (and I don't get up until 7).  Ashlie was lucky to be the student of the week in her class for her birthday week!  We made a cute poster--I love her faces!  Here are some pictures of my Ashlie...



Happy Birthday princess!  We love you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...