Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween BLAST!...

So rather than divide our Halloween up into parts, I thought I would just do one BIG Halloween BLAST, and get all these pictures up onto this blog at once!  YAY!  We had a fabulous Halloween over here, with great friends and neighbors to hang out with, and some awesome kids (& teenagers) over in our neighborhood.  I am so grateful that my kids have such great friends in the neighborhood, it sure makes my life easy!  First, on Saturday we went to the neighborhood Halloween Carnival.  Two of the wards combined, so there were even more people to help out and run the booths, and also WAY more people to hand out candy for the trunk or treat!  My kids were in Heaven!  Jack cheated at all the games.  If he can't win something, he gets REALLY mad and starts screaming at people.  Oh my.  Not sure who THAT came from.  (YES, his dad is a really bad sport...but shhh...don't tell him I told you that!).  Luckily, at ward Halloween parties, cheating is perfectly okay for a 3 year old, and win or lose he got a prize anyway.  Phew!  The only bad thing about the carnival?  Getting the kids to leave that place was complete insanity.  No one ever wants to go home from a place where hundreds of people are handing out candy, and you don't even have to walk from house to house--but just from chair to chair to get it!  Jack wanted to go around the circle 10 times!  Not nice to tear him away from that place, but we managed!  Is he just the cutest Captain America you've ever seen?  He has been wearing that thing since we bought it--and I can barely pry it off him to bathe him.  If it gets into December, I might have to stop letting him wear it to the store.  On second thought--it is long sleeved, and padded, and the hat can keep his ears warm...


Sunday was our big Pumpkin Carving Extravaganza!  I am kind of a freak about carving pumpkins.  I really enjoy it--not sure why?  But every year, I buy each of the kids their own pumpkin, and myself one as well.  I quit buying one for Todd--since I was the one who had to carve his most of the time.  It's just not his thing.  This year, we had our friends & neighbors, the Tippetts over for our carving party and we had a BLAST!  I had tools and patterns already from the books, but the kids went online and found some really cool ones that they carved!  I just loved Abby's Angry Birds pumpkin, and Taylor's Fleur de Lis.  Erin was carving a really awesome owl shape, but as she was finishing up, her carving gave way and fell through, leaving her a hole.  DANG!  Todd helped her fashion her hole into a sweet looking monkey head thingie though, and all was well!  Jack enjoyed working with Todd's cousin Eli on hammering cute little nails into his pumpkin in a bat shape.  So cute!  All of the pumpkins turned out great, and we all had a great time!  On top of all that, I made some pumpkin bars--HOORAY for something other than CANDY!  They were pretty delish if I do say so myself, and I DO!  November is still a great time for pumpkin bars!  Want the recipe?  Well, here it is!: (don't say I never gave you anything)...

Pumpkin Bars
2 c. Canned Pumpkin
2 c. Sugar
4 Eggs
1 c. Canola Oil
2 c. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 T. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine pumpkin, sugar, eggs, and oil.  Beat until fluffy.  Add dry ingredients, and mix well.  Spread batter into a 15x10x2 in. cookie sheet.  Bake for 25-30 mins. or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
 3 oz. Cream Cheese; softened
1/4 c. Butter
1 T. Vanilla
2 1/4 c. Powdered Sugar

This recipe says that it makes 24 servings--but, well, we didn't have near that many people, and these things were GONE!  Luckily, I goofed on the amount of pumpkin & added a 30 oz. can, instead of the 16 oz. called for and made TWO pans of them!  I ate almost a half sheet for breakfast on Monday.  Oh my.  I need to go into sugar detox mode QUICK!  I am out of control.  Here are some pics of our awesome pumpkins!





Monday was HALLOWEEN!  Of course, Erin comes home from school at 3 and says, "would you take me and Kami to the store to get a costume for tonight?"  Great.  Luckily, in the shopping center right by our house, there is a Savers, Dollar Tree, and Goodwill right next to eachother.  Surely we could find SOMETHING for them to wear!  I helped them pick out the cutest old lady clothes--we got everything, including old lady glasses, shoes, and stockings, shirts, and skirts, and even old lady PURSES so they could collect their candy in them, for less than $20 each!  Great deal!  I thought they looked adorable--am I right?

Emie and her friends decided to dress like Disney Princesses.  They were going to make their own dresses--but it proved to be a futile task with how busy they are, so they went to Savers and Goodwill and bought them too!  Can you guess which is which?  Love them! 


Then, here are the cutest kids EVER--MINE!







We hung out at our neighbors house and ate & talked while the kids went trick or treating.  Emie had a huge group of friends come over to our neighborhood, and so did Erin.  I guess I'm a sucker, because I let them dress up and trick or treat.  If I could, I would dress up and ask for free candy too!  Who wants to grow up?  There are so few years left for these teenagers to be KIDS.  I have been feeling really nostalgic lately about my teenage years.  Ever since Emie turned 16.  I just keep thinking about how magical that Sweet 16 was, and how I thought I would stay that way forever, young and wild and free (haha).  But just 2 years later, I graduated High School, and just 3 years later I was married.  Heck, 5 years later, this sweet little lady you see in the princess costume was BORN!  No, those teenage years are a fleeting moment, and then they are gone.  Missions, marriage, responsibility, parenthood, they are all just around the corner, and I just feel like they have so little time to be kids.  So have your fun, and trick or treat.  Life is short, live it up!  Pretty soon, you'll be old like me, talking about the good ol' days of your youth, and wondering where the time went.  :)  Love these teenagers.  What a great group of kids--parents, you're doing a FABULOUS job, FYI! 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Love the pictures, looks like a fun Halloween!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...