Monday, September 5, 2011

Bad Sunday...


Yesterday was a BAD Sunday!  When you have 6 children, pretty much every Sunday could qualify as a bad Sunday--but yesterday was particularly bad.  We walked in around 11:35, (late, as usual--but before the sacrament at least), and they were still singing the opening song.  We sat down near the front of the back part of the chapel, since there were so many people out of town for Labor Day.  There are never enough seats in any of the aisles for our family--a sign that we had too many kids--even for mormons, so Erin and Josh sat on the row behind us.  Jack was happily swinging around a ziploc bag full of Captain Crunch Berries and started hitting people with it as we got settled and the opening prayer started. I reached over to try and grab it from him, when--you guessed it--he pulled it away from me and the bag opened mid-air and it was raining Crunch Berries over 4 rows of chairs and families sitting in front of us.  EVERYONE opened their eyes to look at what happened, and you couldn't help but to giggle as people wiped the cereal out of their hair and off their dresses onto the floor.  The babies around us were in heaven, as they scooted and crawled our direction for a FREE treat off the chairs and floor!  When the opening prayer finally ended, I turn to go get a broom from the broom closet and Erin says (not so quietly), "You must not be living right, because this is NOT your day".  Little punk--felt like slapping her, but I held back.  Grabbed a hand broom and dust pan from the broom closet and we went to work cleaning up the mess.  Not 2 minutes later, we turn around to hear Josh cry out in pain.  Erin was holding Jack behind us, and I guess Josh was teasing him, so Erin decided to pinch Josh in the side, hard enough to make him cry.  Nice!  As if the Crunch Berries aren't enough embarrassment for one day?  Todd, not so nicely grabs Josh and brings him up to our row to sit, and I give the death glare to Erin, just as the sacrament hymn gets started.  Really feeling the love for my children at this moment!  Luckily, the rest of sacrament meeting went off without too much more drama, thanks mostly to Emie's friend Kessa who brought her Ipod to church and let Jack play games on it--can I get an AMEN to a good reason to bring an Ipod to church!

Next, I headed to primary, where I was asked to teach Ashlie's primary class.  When I got there, I realized that it was only Ashlie, and one other little boy.  Sweet...how hard could this be?  I would soon find out that this wasn't just a normal little boy--he was one CRAZY little boy, and this crazy little boy had a not so private crush on my little Ashlie!  He could not leave her alone.  If I sat her on one side of me, he would follow, hanging onto her dress, and kissing her mercilessly.  I kept telling him, "Okay, now keep your hands to yourself, there's no kissing at church".  He wasn't listening.  I kept asking Ashlie, "Does he do this all the time?"  Ashlie says, "Yes, even at school.  He's in my class, and I have to have 5 friends around me at recess to protect me from him kissing me!"  Oh my!  I kept trying to hold him off from kissing her, but when I was successful, and he couldn't get to her, he would give up and just spit on both of us.  I tried holding him on my lap, but he would wiggle and squirm even more, and get away.  There were a few moments where he would give up, and sit still, but when I would stop paying attention to him, there he was, back in her face.  It didn't get much better when we went to the classroom.  This kid must have planted a kiss on my Ashlie more than 25 times--and that's when she had me there to protect her!  I'm thinking I probably need to call her school teacher and have a talk with her.  I know my Ashlie is adorable--but I think this kissing is a little out of hand for a 1st grader!  Poor thing!

It didn't get any better when I went home.  The car ride home with my children is always a nice end to a Sunday, as they yell and scream at eachother, because they can't get along for 10 minutes.  There is always someone crying at the end of it, this week it happened to be Ashlie.  But every week, it's someone, (sometimes me) and by the time we get home, I'm ready to kill someone, or send them all to their beds.  So much for feeling the spirit on Sunday--this Sunday that was NOT happenin'.  Oh well, there's always NEXT Sunday, right?  Sometimes I'm not sure why I bother...  Oh yeah, I remember, because I am supposed to be trying to teach my children to be like Jesus, and be nice, and get along, and be kind to eachother.  It's so nice to be reminded every week at church what a terrible job I am doing as a parent!  There's always that reason...

1 comment:

otonya said...

You are an amazing writer! I have never read such true honest thought out feelings the way you can write them. You have an incredible talent Tami! Love reading your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...