Monday, August 1, 2011

Utah Part 2...Temple Square...

On Wednesday, we took a trip to Salt Lake City, and took Wendy's kids with us so she could rest.  Temple Square is wonderful entertainment for all those kids & perfectly FREE.  Love that place!  There is such a sense of peace at any temple, but I especially love going to the Salt Lake Temple.  There is a reverence about that place that I don't think exists anywhere on earth.  I haven't been to the new Nauvoo Temple, but I have heard the same about that place.  It is like you feel the spirits of those who have gone before anytime you are there.  So many faithful saints, who sacrificed so much so that we can have a worldwide church.  40 years of work, toil, and labor.  40 years of hoping, sacrificing, to build a temple of God where they could receive the blessings of the ordinances and covenants made there.  40 years.  It makes me grateful for the convenience that is my life, and having a temple only minutes away.  What a blessing!  We saw a newly edited version of the Joseph Smith movie in the Joseph Smith building.  What an amazing story.  I sat and bawled, with goosebumps going up and down my body in different parts of it.  The spirit of that place is so strong.  Sometimes we romanticize the story of the prophet, and the early saints.  We focus on the positive, and forget that much of their lives were spent in terror, running from mobs, and people who did horrible things to them.  We remember the miracles they witnessed, but forget that most of the time their lives were not easy.  They were tried, almost constantly, and their faith was strong enough to overcome.  Their example can help us to remember that whatever we go through, whatever we face, our faith has to remain steadfast, unwavering.  It can also help us to put things into perspective, and remember that in the end, it's only our faith that matters.
Most of all, when I visit Temple Square, I stand in awe of the beauty of that place.  I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  I snapped so many pictures, I lost count, and when I was trying to edit them down to the ones I wanted to put on my blog, I just couldn't decide--so once again, it will be picture overload.  The clouds were just perfect, and it was a beautiful sunny day.  At sunset, it got a little cloudy, and there was a storm coming, so those pictures are equally beautiful.  You have to keep in mind that I have an old crappy camera and only basic Kodak editing software, but the temple is beautiful on it's own.  No editing required!  Love this place!






These were taken from the top of the Church Office Building--just beautiful up there!


















2 comments:

ASHLEY ELDER said...

Beautiful picture, we were just there (at Temple Square)

Amberly said...

gorgeous pics, tami! I feel the same way about EFY... it's a must when my kids are older!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...