Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lawyers, Lawsuits, and the LAW...


I can't say much about our case...(because I'll get sued... see me laughing hysterically), but I can say this:  Lawyers STINK.  If you are one...I'm sorry, but really--normal people don't understand your language!  I'm SO tired right now of the lawyer talk.  Just speak English to me...PLEASE!  Plus, the guy who bought our business is a lawyer...UGH--are you kidding me?  All he speaks is lawyer.  I don't even think he knows how to talk like a real person, and I don't even think he has any feelings like normal people do.  If he did, we wouldn't be in this situation.  The letters that have been going back and forth between our lawyer and that lawyer have been so frustrating for me (a NORMAL person) to read.  They are cordial, and polite, and full of lawyer speak, and it takes 3 paragraphs, 30 minutes,  (and $150) to get a point across when I could have said what he said in 4 words, and they wouldn't be nice words or polite words either. When you talk to a lawyer, feelings can't come into the equation, though, and even if something makes sense to my logical mind--that doesn't mean it means anything to a lawyer.  There is a process that they have to go through--like robots--and they just go through the motions as if it were any other case--but in my case, this is our LIFE!  Can't they understand that maybe I'm upset because no one will speak anything but LAWYER?

Second, Lawsuits.  Lawsuits STINK.  We have been involved in this one now for almost 6 months trying to get the money owed to us, or our business back, or the no compete clause removed so Todd can work & we can move on.  What has happened to date?  A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING!  That's right.  Letters back and forth, posturing, lawyer speak, and nothing else.  At this rate, we may not see the inside of a courtroom until we're dead--if at all.  There is a letter, then a deadline 30 days to respond, then if they miss the deadline, 10 more days to make another deadline, etc.  It is making me CRAZY!  If you know me, you know I am NOT a patient person!  We want to get on with our life--but I'm not sure if this lawsuit will ever get us anywhere...especially dealing with a lawyer on the other side.

Last, the LAW.  The law is only good if you want to deal with lawyers and lawsuits.  Otherwise, it means nothing.  Yes, we signed a contract.  Yes, we are owed money.  But if no one pays, you have no other recourse than to get a lawyer, and file a lawsuit.  Then you WAIT.  And WAIT.  And WAIT.  And hope and pray that somehow, some way, the law will work in your favor.  The law is there to protect us after all, isn't it?  It's supposed to prevent people from ripping you off, isn't it?  Eventually, we will find out--but seeing how long it has taken us to even get this far, I'm just not sure the law even works unless you have the money, the time, and the SANITY, to make it to the point where a judge actually hears your case.  Before this happened, I had a completely naive view of justice.  I actually thought that our justice system was fair, and that if someone wronged you you could get your day in court, and someone would decide your case fairly.  I'm finding out that the process is expensive, slow, and frankly, ridiculous.  Their tactic:  admit no liability (it's all in our head), STALL, STALL, STALL, and make them spend as much money as possible (hopefully we go broke).  If you have a choice, just don't be naive like we were--deal only with honest, upright people, so you never find yourself in a lawsuit.  Wouldn't that be great if you could look at someone and know they were honest and upright?  That sure would have come in handy 2 years ago!  In a perfect world, I guess. 

On another note--when the world is perfect, what will all the lawyers all do?  I guess they will need to learn English and speak like the rest of us.

P.S. I AM really appreciative of our lawyer--since we DO need one.  Lest you think I am full of hatred toward lawyers in general--I know they have a place, and we need them in society--I am just speaking of my frustration with the process in general, not just the lawyers.  So if your husband, or father, or brother, or uncle, or sister, or aunt, or friend, or ANYONE is a lawyer...don't freak out reading this. Most of it is said with LOVE.   Also, you're in a better position than we are--because if you need one--(and I hope you never do...) you know a good lawyer!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I am SO sorry Tami! What a terrible frustration! Love you!

Huston Family said...

Trials stink! No pun intended!! Thinking of you and wishing there was something I could do!

Kathy @ Real Mom, Real Life said...

You want me to kick some Lawyer booty? I'll totally do it. Really.

I am sorry you are going through this... You are right it stinks.

Keep hanging in there.

Love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...