Friday, April 15, 2011

Home for Sale...Anyone???...

So, we have had our house on the market these last few months, and we have showed it probably around 25 times or so. It's seriously a TERRIBLE time to be trying to sell a house--especially one you want to sell quickly.  The market here in AZ is CRAP--and it's not a matter of whether you'll lose money on the sale of your home--that's pretty much a given.  Rather it's how much money you'll lose!  There's pretty much nothing worse than trying to sell a house that you're living in at the time.  You have to let perfect strangers come wandering through your house, sometimes at a moments notice, and some of them will look through your drawers, and everything.  You never know when someone might decide to drop by, so you have to keep the house semi-clean just in case & with 6 kids, that's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE! They ask all kinds of questions--some relevant, but some just downright STRANGE.  Todd has even let people in here when the house wasn't clean--and I've had nightmares about exactly who may have seen my house in that condition...was it someone in my neighborhood, or my WARD--heaven forbid someone should know my secret--that we're all a bunch of slobs over here!  There was the best one-liner on "The Middle" tonight (a sitcom on ABC that we LOVE) where the dad says to his teenage son, "Just because we live in a crappy house doesn't give you an excuse to be a pig".  HA!  Love it!

I've decided that trying to sell your house in this market is like trying to get adopted.  You clean the house all up so it looks nice, being careful to wash it, and make it smell pretty, (you never know when someone will look behind your ears, or carefully at your scalp--or look in your sock and underwear drawer, or wonder why your garage or pantry aren't very organized).  You make sure you are showing the house in the best light--that all the lights are turned on, and the blinds are open to let the sunshine in, so it looks like a HAPPY place to live (I guess that would be putting on your best outfit)!  You try to point out all the POSITIVES of the house, we just remodeled, we have all new appliances, etc.  And forget about the negatives--maybe the house is haunted, we have had nothing but bad luck since we moved in here, the last people who lived here got divorced and lost their business, etc. (HAHA--I am partly kidding...I don't really think this house is haunted...but then again...hmmm...).  Then...the worst part, you WAIT.  People come by, leave, and you never hear from them again.  What did I do wrong?  Was it something I said?  Why isn't the house good enough?  GASP--maybe they looked in the linen closet upstairs!  I've got to go clean that right away--I'm SURE that's what kept them from making an offer!  Will I ever find someone who LOVES me--and wants to make me their HOME?  Actually, I've been lucky enough to be able to get the heck out of here when most of the people have come by--do I really want to be here to hear their critiques?  NOPE!  My sister in law has the funniest story of selling a house.  Her house was on a lockbox, and some people came by early in the morning.  Her husband had forgotten to tell her they were coming--and she was still in bed...not dressed!  She wakes up to hear people in her kitchen talking about the house--so she decides that she's just going to hide under the covers and hope they don't hear her breathing.  As they walk through the house, she can hear them making comments about her paint choices, and her decorating, how messy the house is, etc., and my poor sister in law is just DYING!  Luckily, they left without noticing her!  I bet her husband got the toungue lashing he deserved that night!  HAHA!  They laugh about it now...but to a woman, her home is her castle--and I don't care to hear about anyone else's opinion of how I decorate, or what color I decide to paint a room!  For now, we just keep waiting.  I'm sure there's a family out there who will be a perfect "match" to our home--the question is, WHERE ARE THEY?  The other question is--will they actually be willing to PAY money for the house--or will we have to pay them for taking it off our hands?  Oh my.  Anyone?  Anyone out there??  Buuueeeelleerrr???

2 comments:

ASHLEY ELDER said...

Beautiful home, hope you sell fast!!

Yvette said...

It is a beautiful home! Wish I knew someone that was looking for a home like that right now. Sorry about the business. Mark and I haven't had the best of luck with the business we bought. Its the other way around though. As soon as the guy could he started up a new business and started to take his clients back for cheaper than what Mark was making them pay. This was after we had payed quite a bit for them. Anyway, I feel you pain, especially about the business.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...