Monday, November 22, 2010

Josh's Baptism!...

Saturday was Josh's baptism day, and it could not have been a more beautiful day!  Yet, I woke up feeling like a truck had hit me because of a sinus infection.  If it hadn't been his baptism day, I don't think I would have gotten out of that bed all day!  We all got ready, and took some pictures of Josh in his super cute suit--(that I bought in Utah at Walmart...for a smokin' deal).  I just got tears in my eyes looking at him, and imagining him in a few more years...putting on his suit to go on his mission.  He was such a goof--he made it difficult to get a few good pictures, but I managed.  We were lucky to be the first ones released to go to the baptismal font, sometimes in a stake baptism it can take FOREVER!  I think it helped that I mentioned that we would have 50 people there...and 40 of them were kids!  To add to my being quite unprepared (as usual), our bishopric member wasn't there, so we had to ask Todd's brother, Bishop Chris if he would conduct for us--which he agreed to.  The baptism was wonderful.  All of the little kids (in our case 30 of them), crowded around to watch the baptism take place through the glass.  I was laughing because some of them, including Jack, had their little noses pressed up against the glass, and Josh started to grin at them.  I'm sure for him, it was a sight to see all those little faces looking at him.  He came up out of the water grinning from ear to ear, and I'm not sure who started it, but the kids began to clap and cheer and we had to shush them a little.  Reverence is always a struggle for our family at baptisms!  We are SO outnumbered!

We proceeded to the primary room for the confirmation, and tried to get the kids to sit reverently for a few minutes while Josh got dressed.  I think I only had to put one or two of them in a head lock!  :)  I was feeling a little frusterated, because I wanted Josh to be able to feel the spirit, and sometimes it's a little hard when it's so noisy, and there are so many kids running around.  I said a little prayer before the confirmation, that the kids would calm down, and Josh would be able to feel the spirit on his special day.  Todd gave a beautiful confirmation blessing.  I was struggling a little with Jack, but I heard most of it.  Josh was so lucky to have most of his uncles, and both of his grandpas here to stand in the circle.  I was overcome with gratitude for the wonderful men that he has as his examples, including an amazing father, who was worthy to baptize and confirm him.  What a blessing!

After the confirmation, Chris stood up to close the meeting, and asked if I would bear my testimony.  I was a little surprised, since I hadn't included that as part of the meeting when I asked him to conduct.  But when I stood up, the spirit just washed over me, and I was overcome with gratitude for the blessing that Josh is in our lives, and how proud I was that he was making this decision to be baptized.  I told them how when Josh was born, I wouldn't let him out of my sight!  I was SO grateful that God had finally given me a baby boy!  I also told him how I had promised Heavenly Father that if he would give me a boy, I would raise him to be a missionary, and this was a step toward that promise.  Another thing I said, is that even though Todd and I have gone through some struggles lately, I do know that the Lord loves me, and a thought came to me that morning, that I would rather walk with God in the dark than walk alone in the light.  I am grateful for a Savior who knows my struggles, and wants to help me.  As I bore my testimony, my sweet Joshua broke down in tears, and I could tell that for the first time, he was feeling the gift that he had just been given, the gift of the Holy Ghost.  We talked about it later that day, and how he wasn't crying because he was sad--but because he felt so happy.  I love that moment, when you first recognize how it feels to have the spirit touch your heart.  I love how each of my children experience those tender moments, and I get to be a part of that.  I was so grateful for my prayer to be answered, and for Josh to have that experience on this special day!

After the baptism, we went to the park for pizza and treats.  It is so fun having a large family, and many cousins to celebrate with.  We are so grateful that you all could come and share this special day with us!  We love you!  Here are some pics:








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...