Friday, April 16, 2010

Peace...

Okay, I admit, to say that it is peaceful around here may be a stretch, but in the last few weeks I have finally felt at peace for the first time in awhile.  Peace in my heart at least about what we are doing with our lives, and peace about some of the decisions that we have made of late.  Todd and I were discussing getting answers to prayers a few weeks ago, and how sometimes God just lets us go with our gut and we have to make decisions, sometimes even big ones, on our own.  He has often told us that he is not going to counsel us in all things, but we are also told to pray always.  I have wondered about that many times.  Sometimes we may not feel that we get answers to our prayers, at least the out loud kind, where God is telling us what to do.  Often those answers do come, however, in ways we least expect them, or in quiet thoughts or impressions in our minds, that are so simple, so subtle, that we may not even give God the credit--we may think we came up with them on our own.  I have been thinking about that this week because of a lesson we had in Relief Society last Sunday on the Holy Ghost.  The teacher was talking about how the Holy Ghost communicates with us, and how He is a mediator between us and our Heavenly Father.  The Holy Ghost is the go between.  As long as we are worthy, He is there to communicate messages that our Heavenly Father would have us hear.  As long as we are willing to be worthy, and to listen, He will speak to us.  He doesn't speak to us out loud most of the time, but He speaks with us spirit to spirit.  I thought that was powerful--sometimes I will have thoughts, or feelings, or I will have a moment where something will become clear, and I think "Wow--I have never thought of that before!"  Those moments are the Holy Ghost--teaching me, inspiring me, communicating to me, spirit to spirit, the things that Heavenly Father wants me to know.  What an amazing gift I have been given, what an amazing thought, that the Father does communicate with me, more than I even know.  I have the ability, through my faithfulness, to have a member of the Godhead with me at all times!  Isn't that amazing! 
What I have been learning is that I need to keep this channel of communication open--through prayer, and study, and I also need to make sure that I am listening.  Listening is hard sometimes.  There are so many demands on my attention, and I find it hard to just be still.  Those are the moments, however, that I am most able to hear that communication.  The other thing that I have been trying to do is to act.  When I do have a thought, or a feeling, or a prompting, I need to show Heavenly Father that I am willing to do what He wants me to do.  He will then be able to trust me, that I will act on the promptings that He gives me, and I will be able to receive answers and promptings more frequently.  In a talk called "Prayer and Promptings", Elder Boyd K. Packer tells us:  "This process is not reserved for the prophets alone.  The gift of the Holy Ghost operates equally with men, women, and even little children.  It is within this wondrous gift and power that the spiritual remedy to any problem can be found."  I loved that.  Every problem that we have can be solved if we will just listen to and obey the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  Even if the problem doesn't go away--the Holy Ghost is our comforter--he is the one who can heal the hurts, and bind the wounds that ail us. 
Later in the talk, President Packer related this poem:
With thoughtless and impatient hands,
We tangle up the plans
The Lord hath wrought.
And when we cry in pain He saith,
"Be quiet, man, while I untie the knot."
So many times in my life, I have been that man.  Trying to do things on my own, trying to muddle my way through, tangling up the plans that my Father has for me.  I need to remember to use the wonderful gifts that I have been given.  I need to remember that I am never alone.  When I do these things, I can have peace, even amidst the chaos that is my life.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

That was beautiful! I think I needed to hear that today. I continually mess with Gods plans for me. Mostly because I'm impatient. He continually lets me know that he's in charge. That alone gives me peace to know that I'm never alone. Anyway, thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...