Saturday, September 5, 2009

UPDATE:

So I sent a letter to all of the principals at my schools, and the superintendent of GPS--this was the letter:

Mr. Allison,
I am concerned about the news that this new video, "I Pledge", is being shown in conjunction with Barack Obama's speech to the school children at some schools in this country. I am disturbed that it could be shown in my children's schools next week. I have children in elementary, junior high, and high school here in Gilbert. Will you please send out an email informing parents as to whether this, or any other video will be shown in conjunction with his speech, and also whether children will actually be required to do homework showing how they can "help the president". This is disturbing to me, and depending on your response, I might wish to pull my children out of this presentation all together. I will also be sending this email to my principals at my schools. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Tami Allen

I got back a letter from Mr. Allison, as well as Mr. Baker, the principal at Towne Meadows Elementary. Here is what they said:

Ms. Allen,
I saw the video, "I Pledge" sometime ago. I believe (but I am not sure) that it was used before the presidential elections last year. I have not heard that any District schools have shown it or are planning to show it. There will be no homework assigned regarding President Obama's broadcast on Tuesday at 9:00 am. I hope you and your children are happy with the education they are receiving in GPS. Thank you.
Dave Allison Ed.D

Tami-
Towne Meadows is not showing a video. Classroom teachers will have the speech showing in all rooms except in rooms designated for those students opting out. Students opting out of the speech will be assigned an alternate activity, which will depend on the grade level. Our students will not be assigned homework asking how they can help the president, whether they watch the broadcast or not. I hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me. Have a great day!
Jim Baker
Principal
Towne Meadows Elementary
480-854-1545

I was very relieved that they are not showing that video. The speech doesn't bother me so much, because I think I have taught my children to think for themselves, and frankly my children know nonsense when they hear it. Their mother is very opinionated, and I'm afraid you can tell that they take after me much of the time. I will listen to the speech on Tuesday online, and if there are things I disagree with, we will discuss it at home that night. It will be interesting to see if Obama can keep from being blatantly political--I really don't think he will be able to help himself. He believes in his cause, and has proven that over and over. I am anxious frankly to hear what he has to say! Tuesday will be very interesting to say the least...stay tuned!

1 comment:

ASHLEY ELDER said...

Hmm now I wonder if they would show it at my schools...although, my son is in 1st grade, I doubt that he would be able to understand and/or pay attention to any of it but interesting, glad to hear that your school has the option though to let the parents decide, I have heard so many stories of schools NOT letting parents know of certain subjects taught at school, it totally frightens me!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...