Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Women's Conference 2009

Oh man, if you have never been to Women's Conference over at BYU--what are you waiting for??? You need to just GO! What an amazing experience! A few years ago, my mom and my sisters and I decided to go, and we had the greatest time EVER! Last year, my sister and I both had newborn babies, so we didn't get to go, so it made it even more fun this year to go back, and see how everything has changed, and how many more women have discovered the secret--that Women's Conference is the BEST!
I can't tell you how wonderful it was to go to the opening session, and see all the women there! Something like 13,000 women (when we were in lines, it seemed like even more), all coming to listen to how we can improve our families, be better wives, and mothers, and daughters of our Heavenly Father. Sometimes, as women, it's easy to feel very alone in this world. Sometimes we feel like no one understands our struggles, like we are powerless against the evil in this world. Let me tell you, we are NOT alone! As we sang together, in that opening session, Now Let Us Rejoice, I could hardly hold back the tears as I realized that I was in the midst of a very literal army of women who are all unified, and powerful. We are very much in this thing together, and must be willing to stand side by side in the fight against Satan in these last days. The words were so powerful, and so literal in this time of struggle, they really touched me.
video
Now Let Us Rejoice
Now let us rejoice in the day of salvation,
No longer as strangers on earth need we roam.
Good tidings are sounding to us and each nation,
And shortly the hour of redemption will come.
When all that was promised, the saints will be given,
And none will molest them from morn until evn'.
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come Home"
We'll love one another and never dissemble,
But cease to do evil and ever be one.
And when the ungodly are fearing and tremble,
We'll watch for the day when the Savior will come!
When all that was promised, the Saints will be given,
And none will molest them from morn' until evn'
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Jesus will say, to all Israel, "Come Home"!
In faith we'll rely on the arm of Jehovah
To guide through these last days of trouble and gloom.
And after the scourges and harvest are over,
We'll rise with the just, when the Savior doth come.
Then all that was promised, the Saints will be given,
And they will be crowned with the Angels of heav'n.
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Christ and his people, will ever be one!

What a wonderful reminder of the reason and the purpose of this life! We are here for one reason, and one reason only--to prove ourselves worthy to return to live with our Heavenly Father, and our Savior Jesus Christ! Sometimes there are so many distractions, so many things that cause us to take our focus off of the real reason we are here. So many times, I struggle to keep my life in balance, and to keep my eye on the goal! I feel like it says in one of my favorite songs "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", where it says:
"O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above."
I don't want to wander--I want to keep my eye focused on the goal--focused on my Savior. Not only that, I want my home, and my family to be focused on the Savior as well. The conference was a wonderful way to bring that focus back once more, and help my testimony to grow. I am so grateful for Todd, allowing me to go and share this experience with my Mom, and my sisters (two of them--missed you Shelly!). I really felt well fed by the spirit, and rejuvenated! What a beautiful weekend!

Wednesday afternoon we visited Temple Square, which is just beautiful this time of year with all of the trees in bloom, and the beautiful tulips blooming everywhere! Our session was amazing, and what a beautiful day to walk around and take pictures! I couldn't get enough of all of the different spring colors!
After the temple, we went to Crown Burger--where I tried the famous Crown Burger for the first time. It's a hamburger with pastrami piled on top of it. It was huge--and oh so Goooooood!BYU is just the most beautiful campus on earth! I love that we were able to stay in my Dad's old dorm rooms--right across the street from what was my Mom's apartment building! This is where it all started! Love it!President Hinckley's Alumni building is one of the most beautiful buildings on campus! President L. Tom Perry spoke to us about doing missionary work, and doing our part to help to make the church better in the eyes of those around us. He made me want to share the gospel. I took this picture from SO far away--but it turned out good! Look, there's President Russell M. Nelson as well, who came to hear him speak to us!What an awesome conference--seriously, if you want to have a super fun, awesome, uplifting experience--come to Women's Conference next year! To stay in the dorms, it's only $25.00 per night--and worth EVERY penny! Sign up in February--and we'll see you there!

2 comments:

Heatherly said...

Totally a blast! I plan to make it a tradition!

Valerie said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I'm just searching for some notes from women's conference since I didn't get to go this year. Hope you don't mind a stranger reading yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...